Compass 31: A Refined And Abbreviated Composite Autonomic Symptom Score

Rachel

This is an interesting article published by Mayo Clinic this month. They have created a new scoring system to assess autonomic dysfunction.

You can find the article here: COMPASS 31: A Refined and Abbreviated Composite Autonomic Symptom Score. I am linking to the abstract, but you can click on the tabs to view the full text or the PDF version.

Thanks for posting. Interesting to look thru. Interesting that they eliminated sleep as a category given how many of us have a major issue with that particular topic.

Worth mentioning - looking through the paper (which I still haven't finished reading), the original ASP (Autonomic Symptom Profile, Appendix 1 - the huge one) contains stuff on sleep. The COMPASS31 (the new one, Appendix 2) just contains questions on the following:

- Orthostatic intolerance (questions 1-4)

- Vasomotor (q5-7)

- Secretomotor (q8-11)

- Gastrointestinal (q12-23)

- Bladder (q24-26)

- Pupilomotor (q27-31)

Essentially, as far as I can tell, this is the shorter screening item - I imagine they might administer this, see if the responses are abnormal, and then begin diving into all the stuff in the ASP (which includes these things but in more detail, family history, severity/duration of symptoms, color changes in the body, sweating, some questions for guys, sleep issues, alcohol/drug use, a question about concentration, and then a request for any other info you (the patient) think is pertinent). I do regret them removing the questions on sleep, sweating, and brain fog from the COMPASS31, but I imagine most doctors would hopefully expand on those if your shorter questionnaire is abnormal

When I saw my ANS neurologist for the first time, she said up front that she might ask me some questions that seemed to make no sense/seemed unconnected - many of which are things on the full ASP. Folks without thorough doctors might benefit from looking at the questionnaires to see if anything "that's always been there" or "is my personal normal" is something of note (though of course one doesn't want one's doctor to think one is self-diagnosing!).

From reading the paper, it sounded like the idea was that the scoring on the original ASP was so complex (requiring computer programs etc), in addition to other issues with it, that they were reluctant to give it to other facilities to use when other facilities asked for it. This it seems is a simplified version that they came up with and are trying to "validate" for "reliability" so that it can be used at multiple facilities/providers' offices etc. They go into the reasons why they opted to remove the areas they did in the shorter version. Just seems like sleep is one that I personally went "oh no!" when I read it. :unsure:

Okay, the link isn't working.

Please go to Rachel's original post and link. Open it, and directly below the name of the article, you'll see the word 'abstract' highlighted in yellow. Directly to the right and next to abstract is a tab that says 'full text'.

Click on 'full text' and read the whole article.

Great find Rachel.