Caffeine And Pregnancy

jlmahon

I'm about 15 weeks pregnant, and had been feeling great until today. I woke to extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and legs feeling like they're giving out. I was told by Dr. Grubb and local neuro that midodrine would be fine to take, but, I'm really not comfortable with it. I know many people have continued to take it during pregnancy but I'd really rather not. Before pregnancy, I would normally use caffeine (a few cups of coffee) to raise my BP before resorting to midodrine. Sometimes that did the trick. I still drink one cup of coffee in the morning. I'm told 300mg (about 2-3 cups of coffee) is fine during pregnancy. I guess I'm just wondering how many of you consumed caffeine for low BP during pregnancy.

I drank one cup of coffee per day during pregnancy. We make strong coffee, so it had more caffeine than a typical restaurant or household cup of coffee. I didn't rely on coffee alone for a blood pressure boost, but it did help.

I hope you can find something that helps you and that you're comfortable with.

Rachel

Hanna,

Licorice root is not safe to take during pregnancy because it mimics the effect of estrogen and could lead to problems. I have several friends who would have 1 -2 cups of coffee /day during pregnancy and there were no apparent effects from it. I always think it's a good idea to listen to all the advice, but in the end go with your gut instinct.

I didn't drink coffee at all when I was pregnant because I was trying to do everything 'perfectly' according to everything I'd read. Well, in the end, my perfect pregnancy turned into an emergency C-section, two months early because of a freak umbilical cord issue. My son needed resuscitation at birth and guess what one of his early treatments was?...caffeine injections!! I was thinking "what???...I avoided it for seven months and you are injecting him with it".