Micronutirent Deficiencies

I just received the results of a complete nutritional panel done through Spectracell Laboratories. This micronutirnet analysis (WBC) showed I was deficient in 8 micronutrients, listed below. I wonder if others have experience with this type of micronutrient testing and if anyone else is deficient in similar micronutrients. (I recall KimBell has at least one of these listed on her profile.). Some of these I've never even heard of. Would love any insight you might have about any of these micronutrients and how they might or might not be at play in autonomic dysfunction.

Vitamin B3

Glutathione

Folate

Coenzyme Q-10

Biotin. (interesting bc I have been on a Biotin supplement for the last 2 MOS bc of hair loss)

Selenium

Asparagine

Vitamin E

Hi!

I had Spectracell testing done in 2010. It was recommended by a holistic osteopath I was seeing at the time for food allergies, and it was very helpful. I was borderline deficient in Vit B12, biotin, serine, glucose-insulin interaction and chromium. My total antioxidant function was deficient - those included glutathione, cysteine, vitamin E, selenium, coenzyme Q10, lipoic acid and vit C.

At that point I had not been taking ANY vitamins whatsoever. Now I do take a good quality hypoallergenic multivitamin every day. As far as affecting autonomic function, I really don't know if it does. But I take it anyway because it can't hurt (within reason - no megadosing!).

It can take four to six months to see results from oral supplements so hang in there.

I was tested for D3, and B12, but the rest of it, I just deduced from my symptoms which are very MS like. See all my supplements below, but I have had an increase in my energy level. I was deficient in D and I now take calcium, as well. It's been about 5 months now; Even my hair dresser noticed my hair was healthier, I've gained a healthy amount of weigh, and I'm able to do a lot more. I did have a set back a few weeks ago, but dysautonomia is like that, so my medications needed some tweaking, but I'm back to my new "normal" state again. Mind you, I'm also getting more sleep than I've had in years, since I now have a Cpap machine for my apnea, so that is also huge, but I know my supplements have made all the difference. I have a better appetite, as well!! Not as nauseous. I have a new problem though, my teeth are loose, because I was so sick for so many years without treatment, but I now have Invisalign, which is holding them in place right now, and trying to get them back in position...There's always something :rolleyes:

My primary care doc who is a D.O. suggested I consider doing the complete nutritional panel after I asked him about micronutrient deficiencies. He told me this is not the type of test that is recommended by most practicing docs (MDs /DOs) but because of my condition and our lack of helpful treatments he was up for writing the script.

We knew I was already Vit D deficient and despite the fact that I've also been supplementing w a multivitamin I was surprised to be deficient in so many areas. Interesting that I am deficient in 5 out of the 7 micronutrients- Antioxidants like SongCanary.

It is also interesting that I have lots of antioxidants in my diet so the deficiency in theses is a surprise. Also, looks like most of these play a role in the transfer of energy (ATP) at the cellular level.

I was put on CoQ10 for 2 reasons, according to my doctor: it's a good antioxidant and may be beneficial for both heart conditions and alzheimers/parkinsons bc it scavenges free radicals (there are studies, but I haven't looked them up). Also, I'm on beta blockers and they may cause CoQ10 deficiency. No idea about the others.

I'm very sensitive to it; when I take 200 it causes marked hypotension, so I'm on 100. Weird; my dr. says he's never seen a reaction like that.

I was put on CoQ10 for 2 reasons, according to my doctor: it's a good antioxidant and may be beneficial for both heart conditions and alzheimers/parkinsons bc it scavenges free radicals (there are studies, but I haven't looked them up). Also, I'm on beta blockers and they may cause CoQ10 deficiency. No idea about the others.

I'm very sensitive to it; when I take 200 it causes marked hypotension, so I'm on 100. Weird; my dr. says he's never seen a reaction like that.

Check out what fillers or liquid it's in --could be a reaction to something in it. Most times CQ10 has a stimulating effect. Do you have the ubiquinol type? That is more powerful and will take a whole lot less for the same effect. Best, most utilized form. Little more pricey - but requires less.

Issie

I didn't have a complete micronutrient panel done but I asked my neuro to test for pottasium, vitamin D, already had vitamin B done previously which was fine (I had already been taking vitamin B) and magnesium. It turns out that my magnesium came back low (he didn't say how low) which is funny as I already took 300 mg. of magnesium per day. He told me to up my dose. I would like to have a complete panel done. It would be interesting. I already was taking COQ10, pottassium, , calcium, vitamin D3, vitamin B12 and 6 and magnesium when I did the labs.