Is Clonidine Only For Hyperadrenergic Pots With Extremely High B/p?

Amelia

My question is I was recently at Mayo in Scottsdale and saw Dr. Goodman. He diagnosed me with hyperadrenergic pots. I don't tend to have b/p that go over 130/90. He did not mention this medication as an option. I have tried two other beta blockers propanolol and nadolol...had a bad itching response to a very low dose. He now wants me to try metoprolol. Also mentioned a drug ivabradine, has anyone had experience with this?

I don't know about the last med you are asking about.

But, the title of your question is ----no. They use it for people who have normal type of high blood pressure too. I used it for HyperPOTS and it balanced out some wild swings. I stayed on it for a few months and then came off it. It is something I will keep in reserve for if I start to get those wild swings again. I don't know if it's used for those with other types of blood pressure issues. I could only use 1/4 of a pill ---I'm so sensitive to meds. But, it was something that took away those horrible surges for me. I just got tired of being well . . . ."tired". It made me lethargic. But, that was a welcomed thing with the horrible surges I was having and since coming off the med that horrible type of surge hasn't really come back and my bp is still being more level.

Issie

Curious which of your testing battery results gave you hyper pots dx - while carrying a normal blood pressure.... My orthostatic things tend toward hyperadrenergic - tachy baseline hr, losing blood pressure with prolonged standing - but I've complicated it all by age acquired hypertension & while losing weight is said to help things - in my case by b/p is still high. To treat it I'm on Inderal (Propranolol) twice a day which worked better than the other two or three b-blockers I tried..... I am also on Clonidine .3 per day. What that seems to do is keep the b/p in a realisitic range and it has eventually evened out the super labile nature of my b/p. It is still labile and that's probably from a sharp rise in catecholamines with standing .... At Mayo I've never had a diastolic under 100 ... at home it's a bit better. I also have to take dyazide for a diuretic to tamp down the b/p. If I have a 'low' day where b/p is 80/50's - those periods I stop the diuretic - they only last a couple days - weird - and then it goes high again. This losing wt. thing is over-rated.... I'm happy for the hope and up for the challenge - but a 15% loss in body weight has done virtually nothing for my vitals - it seems to strictly be this combination of meds that's helping things along.

• 1 month later...

I'm now taking clonidine - 0.05mg twice daily (we tried 0.1mg twice daily and it was a bit too much, so this is a bit of finessing). My BP pretty much never goes over 140/85, except during my TTT when it was 170/100 at the max. It's been helping a lot - I'm a lot calmer, don't have adrenaline rushes over little things, and even have more energy (but am sleepy a lot and am much more lightheaded - BP has been down to 85/45 at the lowest). So not just for folks with super-high BP. My ANS neurologist said that my POTS was a mix of hyperPOTS and pooling, but I haven't had the standing/lying norepinephrine drawn, so it's a tentative guess.