Root Canals Toxic And Can Cause Chronic Diseases??

hippychic258

Has anyone researched root canals at all? I just started because I had one right before I got sick and never got a cap put on now its infected I think. Anyways from what I understand when you get a root canal its basically a dead tooth with no blood supply to it so it can't fight of the toxins and bacteria even with antibiotics. All root canals have toxins and bacteria and it seeps out into your body and causes chronic diseases. Some people can be fine but others with weak immune systems it can cause chronic illnesses. I have read several people have an onset of Pots after a root canal, I am one of them, my last flare was also when I had gum disease I got better after it was treated. I was reading a woman had rheumatoid arthritis When she had her root canal teeth pulled she recovered??? Makes me wonder. My mom has never been sick she is in her 70s smoked all her life eats fatty foods no exercise etc. she is on no meds nothing great health she also has no teeth and has had dentures since her 20s hmmm makes me wonder. Also read 97% of people with terminal cancer have root canals.

Any thoughts and who has root canals?

Some people do develop POTS "post-surgery" according to the literature. It seems anything that is a "shock" to the body (or mind I guess) could potentially trigger POTS or other inflammatory response. (I also recently read that people who experienced abuse as children have a higher liklihood of chrnic disease due to inflammatory response as adults).

It seems plausible that a root canal, or an infection in the mouth, could be a trigger.

As far as root canals harboring toxic bacteria, I have no idea. My mother has had many root canals. She is extremely healthy at age 74 with no POTS or any other inflammatory condition. Not having a root canal might also cause your mouth to harbor infection? Personally I would look closely at the source of any claims like this and see if there is any potential conflict of interest, eg, is someone trying to sell a product or a service.

I am one of those with a severe onset of POTS following a root canal. I've wondered the same thing and wonder about this claim that root canals can cause chronic illness. Like MomtoG I question the validity of the claim especially bc root canals are the preferred/acceptedmethod of treatment by most all professional dentists. Can they all be wrong?

I am convinced that my trigeminal nerve is a key to triggering my condition (because I frequently have parasethias down all three areas of that nerve on the left side of my face - same side as dental work) and have wondered what would happen if they pulled that tooth and put an implant in.

Kelly: How long after the root canal did you get sick? And how bad was your flare and how long did it last?

MOM: That is great that is great that your mom is healthy, but from what I understand it would only affect people with weakened immune systems. My flare wasn't caused by the the actual procedure I was fine until about a month later. Most of the information I am getting is from dentists lol.

I for one am getting mine removed and never getting another one if anyone has time to research the idea and share what they think that would be great. I don't think it causes pots but if you have it I believe it can bring it out.

Thanks

I have been researching root canals and cavitations lately. I don't know if it's the cause, but I do know that it has to be one area that I need to address. That and amalgam fillings I've had for 25 years. I'm at the point where it needs to be cleaned up and at least take that burden off of my Heath and immune system. If it helps the Pots great, if not I'll move on to other things to help make my body healthier and less prone to illness.

I've heard that amalgam fillings are supposedly poisonous to our systems because of the mercury in them, yet everyone seems to have them, and all the dentists don't seem to be stressing the importance of getting all fillings redone either but for maybe a choice few. You have a point about a dead tooth not getting the circulation it needs to combat infection. I'm also somewhat concerned with the mercury leaching into the circulation into the gums, when having this redone or possibly getting a crown. I do know that our mouths are pretty dirty places, though. They say a human bite is full of more bacteria than a dog's, believe it or not. That's why it used to be protocol for anyone with risk of endocarditis, like someone with Mitral Valve Prolapse, or other heart condition, as an example, to have prophylactic antibiotics before major dental procedures; it kind of makes you wonder about it. My dysautonomia was triggered by a virus, but I still don't know what it was. I want to be tested for EBV titers. Interesting question, but I don't know the answer either. Btw, my teeth are becoming loose because of malabsorption problems. I am taking Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D3. I was deficient in D3, so our teeth can suffer from the dysautonomia, too, so it could be that you were ill before you had the root canal...just saying :) . I'm getting Invisalign to put my teeth back in place. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope I can save them. It's always better to have your own teeth. It makes eating so much easier. I wouldn't have any teeth removed, unless it was infected, and nothing else could be done. We don't get 6 sets of teeth, like the elephants :rolleyes:

During my regular dental exam a year ago August my dentist found a fistula in my gum (a drain for an abscessed tooth.). I had no pain, so I was surprised to discover I had an abscessed tooth. I was given antibiotics and sent for a root canal within days. The root canal went fine.

The next day I had tingling a numbness (like the local anesthetic was wearing off a second time) on the same side of my mouth. The next day I had that same sensation on the other side of my mouth. The next day I had it in my right foot, then up my leg, then my left foot, up my arms, neck back, etc. Until 4 weeks later I end up in the hospital with palpitations, SoB and seizure-like episodes. I have been disabled ever since.

I was Dx with POtS and NMS in November and have been working at trying to live with this condition.

This past July I had a filling done on the left side of my mouth and had a repeat of the above progression. this time I ended up back in the hospital and both the ER doc and my neurologist think something having to do w my trigeminal nerve is a trigger.

Two weeks ago I had my annual dental exam which was clean. When the dentist announced no new cavities I almost kissed him. I now am taking extra good care of my teeth because I need that report ever year.

I just think my root canal brought on the flare along with stress. I am hoping getting this tooth pulled doesn't make me worse!

I believe automatic central nervous system meltdown (my term for pots, lol) can be caused by any extreme stressor to your immune system, your CNS, or your vagal system. This could include a pulled tooth, root canal, infected tooth, dead tooth, surgery, super antibiotics that destroy gut flora, a major depression, a concussion, and innoculation such at tetanus etc.

In my case, i can only guess but i had a crown on a tooth that came off and i let it sit that way for years. I finally had the tooth pulled and got on super antiibiotics. Around that time i also developed sleep apnea, had a tetanus shot, was diagnosed with ebv and could possibly have been exposed to parasites. WHO KNOWS? Its so hard to determine what set it off, not to mention DNA inheritances.

For sure viruses and bacteria are your worst enemies--anything your immune system doesnt fight off.

This probably partly explains why women suffer more than men, they have the possibility of tissue storage for the toxin more than men.

I take extra good care of my teeth because of my dry mouth. I have had several root canals, along with infection after a tooth extraction, for which I needed two courses of abx.

For me, when questioning whether to have a tooth with a rotted nerve removed, my answer will always be "yes". I would not want to fiddle with a dead tooth which has rotted material in it. The root canal cleans it out and allow the hole to be filled with an inert substance. This allows the tooth to be saved.

Your best bet is to take as good care of your teeth as you can, not allowing food to remain on them, and to have regular dental visits with cleaning, and yearly x-rays. I have no worries about taking care of my teeth and the potential of causing other health issues by doing so.

If your teeth are not taken care of, that can affect your health for sure.

I'm sitting here right now with a root canaled tooth that is waiting for a crown. I don't know that it has made me any worse with my POTS long term, but when I first had it done, I was very ill for weeks and weeks. I am not looking forward to finishing it, as I know I'm going to be triggered again.

Take care, everyone.