Metropolol Dropping Bp Too Low?

Hi,

same here, metoprolol was a nightmare for my already low bp so my dr changed it to bisoprolol. That didn't really improve the situation. I am on propranolol right now and at least I am not lightheaded and bedridden 24/7.

From what I read it's a bit of a trial and error process to find the right beta-blocker for you.

I'd go back to the dr and ask for his/her opinion.

Good luck.

Alex

I believe the 2 are quite similar, yet I responded differently to each.

I did not wean off the metoprolol, but I did gradually decrease the bisoprolol. My dr at that time pretty much replaced the metoprolol with bisoprolol, then when I kept complaning that it doesn't help but it's making things worse he told me to gradually decrease the amount of bisoprolol and see how I feel.

I'm not saying I'm feeling better on propranolol alone, as I am taking a bunch of other meds, but as soon as I stopped the bisoprolol I no longer felt lightheaded. (metoprolol was the worst as i turned into a zombie as soon as i started it - i was on it for one week only)

No idea how to answer that.

Again, I bet your dr will have more answers for you than me - I can only tell you what my experience has been so far.

like i said, for me the lightheadedness started with metoprolol, continued with bisoprolol and it stopped once i stopped the bisoprolol, a full week before I started taking propranolol. The good thing for me is the fact that propranolol doesn't make me lightheaded at all, even though my bp is still quite low-ish.

my bp has always been on the low side - it runs in my family. Despite that I never had problems being lightheaded or dizzy because of it. I can comfortably walk around with a bp of 90/50-60, while a bp of 120/70 (the "standard") makes me feel awful at times.

I don't know what your bp was before the metoprolol compared to now, but if your bp is too low, i'm thinking that you might benefit from a dosage adjustment, or maybe a different beta-blocker?! - just speculating and trying to help.

You're most welcome.

If you've only been on it for a short time and taken a small dose, chances are you don't need to taper off. Your dr knows best though, so hopefully s/he'll get back to you soon.

Good luck with your echo and your cardiologist.

Alex

I really can't answer that. It's what they prescribed, so I went with it. I have had moderate success and no side effects so I'm not rocking the boat. I actually have had to come off the florinef over the summer because of complications with being on prednisone and now that I'm off both steroids, I'm not having an issue. But, in answer to your original question, the concern about the metoprolol dropping your BP must be a known issue if both of my docs knew about it.

But, isn't the nature of beta blockers in general to lower blood pressure? I'm not sure this is limited to just metoprolol. I might have to do some research on this.