Klonopin Or Ativan Which Do You Prefer And Whats The Difference?

hippychic258

ativan is short acting, klonopin is long acting.

both were prescribed to me for panic attacks/anxiety, but I don't suffer from that.

now I'm trying to wean myself off klonopin and it's a rollercoaster ride (I seem to have all the withdrawal symptoms in the book).

others will probably tell you different stories as a bunch of people on this forum have found benzos to be helpful.

either way - keep in mind that they are very addictive.

Best,

Alex

PS - there is a new post on klonopin - worth reading - very informative and helpful.

Guest mattgreen

Sleep for me is difficult. Without Ativan it is impossible.

Whenever I close my eyes the world spins and my brain feels overstimulated. When I finally get to sleep, with Ativan I will stay asleep.

I have tried Valium in place of Ativan on two occasions on the recommendation of my Doctor. Easily the two worst nights of my life - it was how I imagine a bad acid trip. Not fun.

Without Klonopin, I went years without sleep; I was literally up for hours in the middle of the night. I was tachycardic and had palpatations that would wake me up, and then I was so wired I couldn't go back to sleep. I have also been diagnosed with sleep apnea and Mitral Valve Prolapse which compounds the problem!! Klonopin is a God send. I only take .5mg at bedtime, and I was told by my doctor that I could take it for the rest of my life without any adverse effects. I don't have any side effects, and I don't want to take more, so I really wonder about the addictive aspect, although as a nurse, I have to admit I was reluctant to take it at first, because of that. I am wide awake at 6 or 6:30 every morning, so it doesn't leave me drowsy. It's amazing the difference it has made for me! It is also used as an anticonvulsant, as well, so the jitters and jerking I had in my sleep no longer are a problem either. Since I am a very light sleeper, it was imperative that I take something for sleep with dysautonomia, because I was slowly dying literally from lack of sleep. I don't know why benzos get such a bad rap. It also helps with dizziness, and that was my main symptom when I was diagnosed, so that was a real benefit for me.

I have taken both and don't like either. I just went of klonopin a few months ago. I found it to mask symptoms but not to really help any. Also it made me really stupid! I had a very poor memory on it. Both helped me sleep at first but now I take ambien and prefer it. At first I thought Klonopin was wonderful... but more than three years later I was glad to be off! One other thing to consider ( and I know some love these meds), I spoke with my doctor at Mayo last winter and he told me that klonopin has a tendency to make orthostatic intolerance worse. I thought I felt better on it but I actually was worse in terms of blood pressure swings. I grayed out a lot more when I was taking it. Best wishes.