Propandonal Vs Metroponal

I took metoprolol before being diagnosed with POTS - if i remember right i was told to take 25 mg a day, then 12.5 mg and I still could not tolerate the side effects (I only took it for 2 weeks). It was prescribed to me for tachycardia. It lowered my blood pressure so much to the point I was constantly tired, dizzy, drowsy, plus it did not entirely eliminate my tachy episodes. Then I switched to bisoprolol - I started with 5 mg, cut back to 2.5 mg and had similar side effects. Plus I still experienced tachy on a regular basis, even more than before as my BP was too low and my heart was trying to compensate by beating faster. That's pretty much when I started having tachycardia when going from laying down to standing - prior to that all my tachy episodes happened while laying down.

Now, after being diagnosed with POTS i'm on propranolol (inderal) 10 mg 2xday. while i no longr feel dizzy/lightheaded, so I can actually get up and do things, I have different side effects from it (insomnia, pins and needles, shortness of breath, muscle aches, joint pains, nightmares etc). Plus I still have nasty episodes of tachy - last night my HR went from 70 to 140 and back to 80 in a couple of minutes. Not to mention occasional spikes in BP- last night wasn't too bad though - it only got up to 126/84 (which is high for me) and back to 100/60.

Both metoprolol and propranolol are fat soluble (lipophilic) and easily cross the blood brain barrier, so they are both more prone to generate side effects involving the central nervous system, such as nightmares, weird dreams, insomnia, and/or interrupted sleep.

I'm not sure what your dr meant when telling you that you won't feel the Vaso reflex with the new beta blocker?!

To my knowledge, the vasovagal reflex is a feeling of lightheadedness, weakness and/or tiredness accompanied at times by nausea, feeling hot, tunnel vision, ringing in the ears, slurred speech that precedes a fainting episode. Is this what your dr had in mind?

Again in my case metoprolol made me lightheaded (my normal BP is on the low side) while propranolol eliminated that, or maybe it's the propranolol+florinef combo that helped with that in my case.

You have to also consider that side effects are dose dependant, plus your body might react differently than mine to the meds.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Alex

Dr. G told me that propranolol is a non selective beta blocker meaning it affects a variety of bets receptors in your body. Whereas metoplerol only works on the heart and blood vessels. Research highlights the whole body's beta adrenergic pathways in pots. So in theory, propranolol is supposed to be more effective in pots treatment.