Shingles!? :(

Yup, I've had shingles for two weeks. Really too bad because even last week and the week before I'd been feeling a bit better and even getting into that "maybe it's going away!" mentality, and this seems to be a setback. Other than the actually shingles symptoms (painful itching!!!!) I'm more fatigued, symptomy and most noticeably- physically weaker/tired. I was working out, happily last week, and now feel exhausted after going upstairs.

Here's what's interesting to me- right before I got the shingles rash, actually the week before, I'd felt that tingling on my mouth that hinted at a cold sore getting ready ( sorry if that's tmi!) and started taking l-lysine, which works incredibly to prevent them from ever surfacing. I stopped taking it when my lips felt safe- and within two days got shingles. I know the viruses are related. I also know others on this board have suffered shingles (and I'm 25-- not 50!).

Anyone have good treatments? Especially in this heat,I'm going insane! Because I went so late ( because I fear getting the hypochondriac label at the dr) he said its not worth starting an oral med, and gave mea steroid cream...doesn't seem to help the itching though. I am going to take some lysine and see if that helps?i have also been looking at -arginine rich foods to avoid,and nuts seeds and chocolate are in the top of the pack! Funny bc I've been CRAVING chocolate lately, so maybe that's been the trigger?

Clearly my immune system is weakened...maybe just from dealing with pots? I've had the autoimmune blood work done, and while my ANA was positive twice, the rest of the tests ( sjorgrens, lupus, ra) were all normal or negative.

Not sure if this is a rant or musing or if there's questions in there too :) thanks for listening and any feedback is appreciated.

I just thought of asking my doctor for an antibody titer in regards to these viruses. I have trouble with small outbreaks, and was wondering whether I should get a vaccine. Have the mouth and lip sores, but had an ankle breakout, once that was bad, a few years back, and have had several per year on the upper part of my buttocks for lack of a nicer term. Yes, it is very uncomfortable!! Yes, and we all have had chicken pox or mono somewhere in our past. Did you know that Guillian Barre or Epstein Barre is also a variation of the same virus? When I first started getting symptoms of dysautonomia after a virus, I thought it could have been a mild form of EBV. Right sided weakness and misalignment of my left eye...I guess I'll never know...

I have had shingles 4x in the past two years. However my immune system is really low..CD4 counts....with no know cause. I am HIV negative, so that is not the cause. A steriod shot will raise my counts to low normal for a few weeks then they go back down, so dr thinks it is autoimmune related.

Acyclovir helped stop the progression of the shingles, and it was a week after the pain started and a few days after the rash appeared when I started it, so I do think it helps.

Lyrica has helped stop the long term nerve pain.

The last time I broke out I had an accupuncture treatment which really helped the pain.

Hope you feel better soon. Shingles are not fun.