Exercise??

Exercise?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I did that poll on other medical conditions, which is around somewhere, about a third of people said they had ME/CFS. The hallmark of ME is exercise intolerance, so that would fit quite well with the number of people in this poll who can't exercise. I would hazard a guess that the ones in this poll who can't exercise are the ones with ME, and the ones who can exercise are the ones who don't have ME. Follow-up poll, anyone?

I'm six months postpartum, so I've had to work up to being able to exercise again. I was jogging 3 or 4 miles at a 12 minute mile (slower than before I had this baby, but I've never weighed this much while jogging before) with some heat/exercise intolerance until the summer hit. So over the summer I've just done Firm DVDs (I alternate cardio and weights, though all workouts have some of each) in my air-conditioned basement. But now I"m sick of it and the weather is cooling. I ran for 16 minutes the other day (ouch) and felt good. The last few days my symptoms have been aggravated so instead of a run today, I did a short cardio DVD. Better than nothing.

On Sunday I walked the girls to the park (3/4 mile) in the stroller. They weigh about 50 pounds combined and then there's the stroller. When we got there was I shaky and overheated. I had to eat about 500 calories and drink 30 ounces of water with nuun tablets to recover. I was able to stay at the park for an hour then walk home.

I find it's very important to always have lots of food and water handy. When I jog, I stick close to home and carry a 200 calorie Shot Blok with me in case I bonk, and I have a Camelbak backpack that holds 50 ounces of water. I drank almost all of it during my 16 minute run the other day! I would add electrolytes if I could figure out how to clean it well, but since I can't I just drink them before and after.

My husband and I have made my exercise a priority because it's so hard for me to function without it. I have a babysitter come 2 afternoons per week and usually get in another two workouts during the week. Silver lining, I guess, because as a stay-at-home mother of two little ones, I probably wouldn't steal so much time to exercise if I didn't have to for my health (well, obviously everyone exercises for their health, but you know what I mean).

What I think will help is if we can start incorporating family walks again. We live in an urban area and before being diagnosed with POTS, I would walk probably 10 miles a week just going to the grocery store, the library, etc on top of my exercise. Again, I always have my cell phone, electrolyte powder, snacks, and lots of fluids with me in the stroller. I can tell I've been feeling better recently because we've been able to walk more. I do get woozy but as long as it's more walking than standing I've been OK. Glad that fall will be here soon!

When I did that poll on other medical conditions, which is around somewhere, about a third of people said they had ME/CFS. The hallmark of ME is exercise intolerance, so that would fit quite well with the number of people in this poll who can't exercise. I would hazard a guess that the ones in this poll who can't exercise are the ones with ME, and the ones who can exercise are the ones who don't have ME. Follow-up poll, anyone?

Hi Batik,

If this helps - I am one of the people on this poll that can't exercise and I don't have ME.