Exercise??

Exercise?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am just curious about whether or not most of us exercise.

Currently I am not able to exercise. I cannot stand very long and my heart races when I try to. Also I fainted this past week and chipped and fractured my wrist. I am not sure what I can do while sitting with only one arm available.

Mayo gave me a cheap and easy exercise plan using those resistance bands you can buy anywhere and an exercise ball. My balance is terrible now, so the ball is nearly impossible, but I can use the bands sitting or lying down when I don't feel good enough to stand up. I'm also a big fan of the rower! It exercises both your legs and core, which really helps with the pooling.

I can do 10 minutes of pilates, as long as it's on the floor, a couple times a week. I can also ride my bike 2-4 times around the block before I start to feel too nauseous to keep going.

It's hard to believe that 2 years ago, I could go to the gym for the afternoon and spend an hour and a half on the elliptical without feeling half as dead as 10 minutes of pilates makes me now. Crazy.

I swim, walk, and use the recumbant bike at the gym. I can swim for about 30 minutes - doing about 15 laps of slow, easy breaststroke - and I bike for 20-30 minutes on one of the lowest resistance settings with a fairly slow pace. The walking is nearly always downhill, since I have trouble with uphill segments.

I walked a lot pre-POTS, and (for reasons of commuting) it's something I continued doing while getting my diagnosis; while I have severe spaciness with walking, and occasional presyncope, I am still able to do it. This may have something to do with why I am largely able to tolerate swimming and recumbant biking for as long as I can, although I'm pretty spacey afterwards too!

I am able to exercise. When I was first diagnosed 14 months ago, it was incredibly difficult. I could only go about 10 minutes on the elliptical before fainting. I found a recumbent bike on Craigslist and started training slowly on it. Then I worked walking into my routine. Now I'm able to take long walks and do intense cardio DVDs, although it's not unusual for my HR to sometimes still hit 200. I'm also trying to get out and hike because I really love doing it, even though it's really challenging for me. I put a lot of stock in the idea that exercise might be a key in managing symptoms.

I am still pretty symptomatic after working out, though, and it takes a very long time for my HR to come down. And pretty much without fail, about 4-5 hours after an intense workout I feel like a zombie.

Curiously, I can't do yoga. It makes me feel the worst out of all the types of exercise I've been trying. I used to do it a lot before diagnosis.

Jknh9--- you and I share similar thought. I too believe in the power of excercise. Maybe not a cure, but symptom. A agreement. I also can't do yoga, but I'm pretty unrestricted exercise wise. My HR also stays elevated long after I've ceased exercising, my POTS is exaggerated afterwards too. I believe the pain will be worth the gain:)

Swimming has been the best. I had a flare up 8 weeks ago so I am off exercise pending testing with Dr Levine at end of August. He already told I won't be returning to the pool as a primary source of exercise. But I do feel as close to normal in the water, especially if a little cool. The therapy pool at rehab made me lightheaded and like a noodle.

I usually walk about 10 minutes a day, except for the day where my dogs were being extremely stubborn and it turned into an hour long walk in the heat with me passing out a few times... during the year, I did do dance, but I skipped more near the end of the year as my symptoms got worse, and I had presyncope at the recital. (My mom ran from the audience to backstage because apparently I got really pale and almost purple)

Yes I am able to exercise.

I had to start slowly, I did about 1 minute of jogging and worked up from there. I found that exercise improved me drastically, but did not prevent a relapse. I'm getting back into it and am beginning to feel better. I recommend doing whatever you can and starting an exercise plan under medical supervision.

As POTS is caused by a variety of different things, it's difficult to predict what response you will have, but it does seem to be the case that most people improve. However, it's also true that exercise can hurt some people, especially if they have underlying connective tissue disorders. So you could talk with your doctor before beginning a regimen to make sure you're in the clear.

Thank you soo much for all your comments everyone! I think I am going to try using the resistance bands to start out. I do not feel sfe doing any of the others right now. Thank you all for your input and encouragement. I hope you all continue to improve! :)

My first post. I started needing oxygen with extended exercise this year. I love to walk but the longer I am upright the more my BP drops and my heart rate doesn't increase to counter it so I have to time it right. When I don't feel up to walking I use my recumbent bike. I do not have pots but do have autonomic dysfunction. I actually do better in the mornings and have more muscle fatigue in the afternoon. I also do better in cool then hot weather. I enjoy gardening but can't do all I used to. I do go in an unheated pool to counteract the heat but sometimes my temperature drops too much.

I will have to pay attention to what time of day works better. Thank you for sharing. I hope things work out for you Rosette.

I noticed too, I do not do well in hot and humid weather.

Thank you for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds braggy but I think we should share the good with the bad. I started on a recumbent bike doing about 15 minutes and never looking at the miles. 2 months later I am doing 10 to 12 miles in an hour and a half. Slowly building it up and pedaling even on bad days, for me it became minimum 4 miles, helped. I also took a reform Pilates class and signed up to do it several more times. The owner is a ret RN and the instructor is a working RN, they have been perfect!

I cannot do any upright or out doors workouts without being symptomatic, not even moderate walks.

Whether or not I'm able to exercise kind of depends on the day. I'm pretty lucky in that I have more days without symptoms than with. I try to get to the gym daily when I'm feeling up to it, and I skate and run when I can, too. I have noticed that over the years, working on lower body/leg strength seems to have really helped.

Exercise is a bit of a catch 22 for me. I feel like it really does help, if and when I can do it. However, it is also likely to make me feel worse if I push myself too much.

Your best bet is to only exercise in a sitting or laying position until you can tolerate standing. My son uses a recumbent bike/ rower combo - it's great. We also saved up some money and bought him a real recumbent trike for use outside in cool weather. The design is suck that he is almost laying on his back when he rides it. He just has to rest and let his heart rate go down BEFORE he stands up and gets off of it.

This might not be true for others but for me I find that doing exercise before a stressful event makes me feel better during that time.

For instance I might go for a jog before I have a meeting of some sort.

This would most likely work if you don't crash after your exercises.

I am able to exercise. When I was first diagnosed 14 months ago, it was incredibly difficult. I could only go about 10 minutes on the elliptical before fainting. I found a recumbent bike on Craigslist and started training slowly on it. Then I worked walking into my routine. Now I'm able to take long walks and do intense cardio DVDs, although it's not unusual for my HR to sometimes still hit 200. I'm also trying to get out and hike because I really love doing it, even though it's really challenging for me. I put a lot of stock in the idea that exercise might be a key in managing symptoms.

I am still pretty symptomatic after working out, though, and it takes a very long time for my HR to come down. And pretty much without fail, about 4-5 hours after an intense workout I feel like a zombie.

Curiously, I can't do yoga. It makes me feel the worst out of all the types of exercise I've been trying. I used to do it a lot before diagnosis.

that's interesting. I think maybe the ddog and something to do with oxygen and bloodflow to the brain? I actually got better last year when I started yoga again so I am going to start gently again. I got sick again after going on vacation (flying) and buying a house (stress) and stopped yoga so not sure if 1 thing or the combo made it come back. I noticed, and this was before I was dx's that when I started doing ddog I felt like I was going to fall on my head but that passed after I pushed thru a couple weeks of 45 min intermediate yoga. I was also doing it in the a.m. when my son was sleeping and now I know that is when we feel the worst. But afterwords, although I felt less stressed and whatever, I had a hard time in the shower afterwards and had to sit down to get ready for work....so shaky, couldn't hold up my hands to blow dry my hair, tunnel vision driving to work etc.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but today I had a pretty good workout that I'm proud of.

I did weight lifting for an entire hour. Intense weightlifting too, where I was lifting to failure most of the time.

I squatted 265 pounds three times which is my new best. My heart was exploding afterwards, but honestly if I can stand with 265 pounds on my back, I figure I'm helping the muscles that will eventually get me better.

When I was first diagnosed I was very dizzy, but now after a year, medications and supplements, I am able to do more. I started on a stationary bike, then worked my way up to the elliptical. I do about 2-3 miles twice a week on the elliptical and walk my dog short distances every day. I'm thinking about doing yoga to help with my stiffness, too. The bands sound like a good idea for starters. It has really helped me, even when I don't feel like it, I go and feel so much better afterward. Don't give up!! It really helps to get your blood flowing properly, and I have always been a real advocate of exercising for your health. :)