Is This Vasoconstriction/pooling

Hi Tinks!! :)

Hope you are doing well!......yes I would say that is definately blood pooling or mottling as the dr's like to call it :) that is very much what my legs look like....mine can get so bad they go deep purple from thighs to toes....not very attractive is it :( hugs

Bren

Hey Bren how are things your side of the ocean?!

I thought it looked rather pretty especially when I get red measle spots with it too :wacko:

No one has ever told me what it is so I thought I would put it up on here and some helpful people would come along.

I should have put up a pic of my legs when they are normal as you can really see the difference.

Hope you and yours are well, Lou

Hey Lou lol! Still Hot over here..blah!! but I am doing as best as I can....you know how it goes :) everything ok with your little one too? yeah the blood pooling is not pretty and I know what you mean about the measle spots.....I get the big white spots on top of the purple that make my legs look like the outside of some alien egg or something lol! maybe we should do a picture gallery of everyone's legs changing colours :) atleast you know you aren't the only freak of nature here........

Bren

Well with the weather over here Bren - getting the pooling is the only way I can get a healthy colour!! Yes the white patches - like the blood has drained where infact its the true colour of your legs underneath lol.

Yes son is struggling at the moment and has a lot of 'professionals' involved right now so a few stressors over that.

What is vasoconstriction, hypovolemia, and pooling - are they one and the same?

We had a few minutes of heat yesterday and boy I struggled....

yeah I hear you....we are going through a rough patch with our little guy right now too....the joy of autism.....sigh :) vasoconstriction is when your blood vessels tighten / vasodilation is the opposite...your vessels are relaxing and not constricting enough to hold the blood and keep it from pooling.....hypovolemia is that your body is low on blood volume....my dr explained it that my body for whatever reason does not produce enough blood to adequately service all of the branches of blood vessels throughout my system.....does that all make sense? I think some Potsies get more constriction and some get more dilation......or like me have both issues in different areas...like dilation in legs but constriction in upper torso....its so whacky isnt it? But the basic idea is that if we can treat the low blood volume it may help with the other issues......in my case it hasnt made a difference :(

Hi naomi, yes they tested me for neuropathy - I had a babinski response in my right foot and arreflexia in lower limbs and they thought it was neuropathy but the test was all ok.

My legs and hands get very dry - I use medication from the doc but my skin goes severely dry and my hands crack at times - not good. Do you have neuropathy Naomi?

Naomi...that is a complaint I have been hearing from my nurses....that my skin is abnormally shiny and dry especially my hands, arms, feet and legs.....is that a sign of neuropathy? my docs already suspect I have this because of the burning and sensation issues but I am just curious what your input is?

Bren

Hey, Ladies!

I will say ditto to all of the above....pooling, vasodialtion, shiny and dry skin. I also can't use lotions of any sort on my legs or torso because I have allergic reactions to them...I can get away with some on my arms and face. I've even tried prescription moisturizers with no success. I got "approved" to have an appt. with the geneticist to evaluate for EDS so maybe that will shede some light.

tinks - pics look like pooling to me too. I don't think I even know what the real color of my legs is anymore, I haven't seen it in so long.

Naomi...that is a complaint I have been hearing from my nurses....that my skin is abnormally shiny and dry especially my hands, arms, feet and legs.....is that a sign of neuropathy? my docs already suspect I have this because of the burning and sensation issues but I am just curious what your input is?

Bren

My neuro (who specializes in neuropathy) made note of this (the dry skin) when he initially examined me and I've read it can be a symptom a neuropathy - so I assume it's part of the whole thing. To be accurate I looked it up and it can also be associated with peripheral vascular disease and diabetes, but I'm thinking in both cases it relates back to us because we pool so we do have circulatory issues and neuropathy can be a complication of diabetes. Have you been evaluated for SFN Bren?

not yet but thats the next stop on my roller coaster ride :( I am waiting to hear about going to Cleveland.....I live in Canada and they dont have the same type of specialized testing here so I have to be shipped out :) thanks Naomi! I really knew that since the topic kept coming up with my nurses it had to be an abnormality of some sort? my feet are so shiny they look almost translucent ;)

This is exactly how my legs look like, if I've been standing for a minimum amount of time and especially after the shower.

My GP told me " Oh, it's nothing, it's normal especially having in mind that you are so tall. It's the problem with most tall women". First of all I'm 5'9". I don't think I'm that tall. Second I never had this issue before, now I don't wear skirts or shorts, because my legs look disgusting to me. Third I became somewhat obsessed observing how legs look of other "tall" women. So far I've seen only one lady, who had similar looking legs, and she was heavily pregnant, but other than that all other women that I've seen have nice even tone on their legs, so it's definitely not normal.