Bp Jumping While Sleeping But Heartrate Staying The Same.

lexcyn

I just had an incidence where I was taking my afternoon nap and woke with extreme pin in my chest. I felt very nauseas, and it hurt so bad. My BP was 140/80 hr 54. The heart rate is normal for me but not the bp. I sat up and has slowly went down now it is 124/76 hr 47 which is more normal for me. I still am a little nauseas and even more tired now then when I layed down to take my nap. And I still have some chest pains. I have woke before with slight chest pains but it is cause my heart rate goes to low. has this ever happened to anyone else?

Guest Alex

Hi Lexcyn,

I experienced several episodes somewhat similar to the one you are describing. I wake up in the middle of the night with this excruciating chest pain, my BP is quite high compared to my norm, but my HR is also elevated 100+ usually, also, no nausea here. Both my BP and HR go down - sometimes in a matter of minutes, sometimes over a couple of hours, the chest pain is the one that subsides last. Such an episode leaves me completely exhausted, but it's terrifying enough that I can't go back to sleep.

Sorry to hear you are going through this, but if it's any consolation, just know you're not the only one.

Alex

Lexcyn

I also have episodes like this also and I agree they are very scary :( in fact today when my nurse came....sitting my BP was 152 and as soon as I stood it went down to 130 pretty big jump.....I get chest pain also with these swings....if it gets really bad I take a small dose of beta blocker.....all just part of having POTS I guess :(

Guest Alex

lexcyn,

I was re-reading your post to see if you have listed the meds you are on, and I noticed that you are taking midodrine.

It might be culprit for your high bp when you are sleeping/laying down, particularly if you said that your bp decreased once you got up.

High supine blood pressure is one of midodrine's side effects that I got to experience first hand. I used to nap sitting - not comfortable at all...but I needed the naps.

I hope this helps.

Alex

I agree with Alex about midodrine. You are probably orthostatic - meaning that your BP drops when you are upright. When you lie down, it comes back to normal, but midodrine is boosting it beyond normal. Though I would check with your doc. In my nonmedical opinion. a BP of 140/80 isn't that much higher than 124/76 and shouldn't make that much of a difference in how you feel.