Low Bp, Low Hr... Anyone Else?

Hi everyone.

I'm new but have been reading the forum for the past few months since I've been diagnosed with POTS. 25 year old female, athletic in my past and lazier in recent years (but still very active... Would hit the gym or a yoga class once in a while and my job required walking 3-4 hours 2-3x/week) and was struck with POTS very suddenly at the end of feb.

Anyway- my question. It seems most people have high HRs and often high BP as well. I seem to have low ones. My BP is generally 100/60 range. My HR while laying is high 50s/low 60s. Sitting is 70s and standing... Who knows, it's all over the place while standing. I went from 60 to 110 during TTT and wearing te 24 he holter my high point was 150 the first time and 130 the second, with an avg hr in the 70s. I recently caught some in the 40 range a week or so ago while sitting...

I guess my question is, does anyone else have numbers like that? Am I lower than normal (and what might that mean)?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum WesternMass! :)

My numbers are almost identical to yours (and I'm not on any meds for Pots). Resting hr is almost always in the 50's; daily avg (with minimal activity is 70's); have some sporadic incidences of 40's while sitting/ up and around/ in the car, etc and while sleeping. My baseline BP is high 90's/50's. My standing hr is always tachy and would vary like yours as well. I have some other "electrical issues" with my heart according to my EP/cardiologist, but the basics are very similar to yours. I also was quite active and from all indications 'healthy' when I was hit suddenly with POTS last November- It was like a switch (healthy and active to incapacitated).

Are you on any meds?

Thanks for the welcome and the replies :)

As usual, comforting to know I'm not alone!

I am currently on midodrine- 5mg in morning and afternoon and 2.5 evening. I had a bad reaction to metoprolol and a less bad but still poor reaction to florinef. I basically tolerate midodrine, I think... Though it seems to mostly have shuffled my symptoms around. The saga continues... :)

Does havin a low hr and low BP generally give any clues to what subset of pots one might have?

My cardio has been fantastic thus far, and I know he has two other pots patients, but I think this is the first time he's dealt with pots. He is trying to get me to Boston for further testing, but until then I'm trying to find puzzle pieces to put together :)

Hi and welcome...your midodrine is keeping your blood pressure raised enough to keep you from bottoming out, so that you don't faint or become too tachycardic, because that is what happens when your body is compensating for B/P's that are too low. You sound like most POTS patients in that you started with low blood pressure, and tachycardia. I hope that you will find out more when you go to Boston for further testing. We are all a puzzle and a mystery...Join the "musical mystery tour". That comes from an old album from the Beatles...lol... :rolleyes: But seriously, wish you didn't have to be here. Great supportive group to be a part of, though...

Thanks!! It is a really great And supporting place to have found. I'd be pretty lost otherwise.

Is it common to have your BP continue to lower with pots? My BP hasn't changed much since starting midodrine... That would mean either midodrines not raising my BP or my BP is lowering itself and midodrine is raising it back up? Does that rationale make sense? I've been wondering about that.

It's always hard going from med to med and dose to dose because I don't really have a feel of what my "normal" "baseline" is like without meds.

Hiya Westernmass, I'm somewhat new and not very active here but I had to chime in and say that I have similar numbers except my heart rate stays in the 40s often, rarely ever above 60 unless I'm standing and then its all over the place. Just doing a few dishes will get my pulse up to the 140s.

I'm so confused by all this, I thought it would be easier once I got a diagnosis, not harder.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have other symptoms?

Also, my hubby is from the Springfield area, nice to meet another westerner!

StephL- cool! Do you and hubby live out here still?

I do have other symptoms. The reason I found out about pots originally is because I went to the ER three times due to incredible chest pain-- I thought I was heart attacking!

So my symptoms:

Chest pain

Lightheadedness/presyncope

Vision stuff (blurring is the main one but also see lights, aura etc) -- this one is less common

Palpitations and tachycardia (and maybe some Brady as well?)

Temp regulation- tend to be freezing! Could be the midodrine maybe tho?

Slight stomach issues- again, possibly midodrine

Headaches- could be midodrine. As a teen I had a horrible time w migraines though they seemed to fade away and for the past ten years I would get a few here and there..

LOL that is all I can think of for now. Oh, well, speaking of that! Brain fog is a new symptom I've noticed in the past couple months!!

What about you? Do you know what "form" of pots you have?

Welcome to the best informational forum and support system. I am on Midodrine 10mg 3xday & a 4th dose when I am out in the evening. I also take Mestinon 60mg 3xday too. The freezing, feeling cold, head itching, skin crawling, urinary urgency/frequency and headaches are Midodrine side effects. I actually know when it is peaking as these get worse for me, but being able to walk and work out weigh the side effects. I also do homeopathic treatments with Vitamin B, C & D along with a strong multi-vitamin. Look in my signature for my treatments. Some of these may help you. Again, welcome.

Hi. I have very similar numbers as you and allaboutpeace. I am on propranolol, which I thought might lower hr and bp when sitting/laying and since mine are already low I was nervous about that. Oddly, they haven't changed much since I started the BB, but my standing hr and bp have dropped significantly unless I am having an adrenaline surge. Before my POTS symptoms started my bp was always low and my resting hr was in mid 70s even though I was a competitive athlete. With POTS my resting hr is much lower but standing goes to 130s.

The ttt indicated NMS. I'm not 100% confident in that though.

I seem to have a lot of problems throughout my whole system, from pupils to urination. The worse by far is the constant nausea. I'm down 40 pounds since November because I just can't bring myself to eat sometimes.

And no, we live in Florida. I've lived here all my life but he moved here when he was 11 or 12. He was born in Holyoke but lived in Easthampton. His family, is still all up in that area so we visit from time to time.