Leg pains

Christine

I tend to get leg pains from my knee down. It hurts so much sometimes that I cry. I think my hormones play a part in my leg pain. It also seems that I am on a cycle. I will be unable to sleep for a few days then my leg pains begin. My leg pains last for about 3 days then they are gone. After that I crash and my body is very weak. I also get twitches or that is what I call them throughout my body. They just come on for no apparent reason. My twitches do not hurt. Does anyone else experience any of this?

Christine

Guest tearose

Hi Christine,

I recently had some of these and was surprised to learn from blood tests that I was low in potassium! I am not on any medications that would deplete my potassium. Once I went back to eating more potassium, like bananas, the leg pains went away.

If you still are having problems after trying all home remedies, give your local friendly pcp a call!

feel better, tearose

Hi Christine,

I recently had some of these and was surprised to learn from blood tests that I was low in potassium! I am not on any medications that would deplete my potassium.  Once I went back to eating more potassium, like bananas, the leg pains went away.

If you still are having problems after trying all home remedies, give your local friendly pcp a call!

feel better,  tearose

Tearose,

My blood tests show no sign that I am lacking in potassium, but it is worth a try.

Thanks,

Christine

Christine

Would you describe these as muscle cramps? I get bad muscle cramps in my lower legs and feet from time to time--but worse and more frequent when my POTS was bad. What helps me (I think) is to increase magnesium a bit. There are magnesium supplements available. I use a powder form that I stir into juice when I feel I need it. (You might want to seek medical advice on this--you certainly don't want to overdose on magnesium either.)

It certainly makes sense that low potassium would cause pain like this as well. I have almost chronically, slightly low potassium, (at least when my POTS was significant this was the case) so I always make sure to eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies each day.

I also used to get body twitching like you describe--especially when resting/lying down. That for me corrected itself/went away over time. I think that is a pretty common POTS symptom.

Katherine

could be potassium, but it could also be a sign of blood pooling and severe dehydration. I had these cramps and they were excruciating! I started Florinef and gatorade and they went away. I also have had very low potassium and got similar cramps with that, but the low potassium occurred at a different time and was cured with pills and a banana a day (plus raisins and some other high potassium foods on a regular basis). Try keeping your feet at heart level and see if that helps. Keep them there for a while, like 30-45 minutes, and then you can see if it is a blood pooling pain.

Leah

Christine

Would you describe these as muscle cramps?  I get bad muscle cramps in my lower legs and feet from time to time--but worse and more frequent when my POTS was bad.  What helps me (I think) is to increase magnesium a bit.  There are magnesium supplements available.  I use a powder form that I stir into juice when I feel I need it.  (You might want to seek medical advice on this--you certainly don't want to overdose on magnesium either.) 

It certainly makes sense that low potassium would cause pain like this as well.  I have almost chronically, slightly low potassium, (at least when my POTS was significant this was the case) so I always make sure to eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies each day. 

I also used to get body twitching like you describe--especially when resting/lying down.  That for me corrected itself/went away over time.  I think that is a pretty common POTS symptom.

Katherine

Katherine,

I wondered about the pains and twitches because my doctor really didn't think much of it. My doctor thought I had MS because a lot of my symptoms mirrroed

MS. I am still learning about POTS so thanks for responding. I will check into vitamins.

Christine

could be potassium, but it could also be a sign of blood pooling and severe dehydration. I had these cramps and they were excruciating! I started Florinef and gatorade and they went away. I also have had very low potassium and got similar cramps with that, but the low potassium occurred at a different time and was cured with pills and a banana a day (plus raisins and some other high potassium foods on a regular basis). Try keeping your feet at heart level and see if that helps. Keep them there for a while, like 30-45 minutes, and then you can see if it is a blood pooling pain.

Leah

Leah

I usually have leg pains in the evening while I am in bed. I do believe they run on a cycle due to the fact that certain times in the month my pains are worse. Thanks for the advice I will try it. Do you feel like your skin is crawling when you are trying to fall asleep? Sometimes I think my heart rate must be up because I feel the beating all over my body (fingers,limbs etc..). Thanks for responding.

Christine

Dear Christine,

been doing that for years now. I have a few suggestions.

potasium, vitamin b and magneisium lactate are all part of my daily routine along with the regular daily vitamins and minerals. fluids and good eating habits help also, try not to snack later in the day and drink fluids that help to balance your electolites, but be careful for drinks with to much sugar.

I would also like to suggest some leg stretches that I find helpful. laydown with your feet elevated. curl your toes and straighten them slowly, open and closed 10 times, then flex and extend your feet 10 times, again slowly. then rotate your feet, in a circle, 10 times both ways. I am by nature a "foot tapper" my feet are always in motion. I try to get my feet up several times a day for at least 15 minutes.

one more thing, do you use compression hose/stockings. That may also help.

Good luck,

Blackwolf

I twitch all the time and have a real propensity for low potassium. They gave me diuretics for my meneires a couple of times and I almost died from 2 doses. Although low k+ usually just gives you very weak muscles. But I've got this pain in my back right thigh I just can not get rid of, no matter what I do. It's not a cramping sensation, it's just a constant pain in the deep part of my muscle, like how I'd expect an embolism to feel. No position helps it, no k+ helps it, it's there. It drives me crazy and sometimes is so bad, it makes me cry. I have tylenol three for pain, but I don't take pain meds as all they usually do is mask the pain, not fix it. I have started using advil, although my GI doctor would freak if he knew. :P So don't tell him!!!! :P But even that doesn't help. I don't as a rule take a lot of supplements, as I once had a lady code and die from taking too many pills from the health food store and my poor hubby had to be hospitalized from them. Since I am so sensitive to meds that pretty much puts me off things not regulated in any way. I did take niacin once, again for my meneires, but it made me feel awful. I'm glad these things help you all. I'm just not into it. I think my pain might be from a bulging disc, but Lord only knows. A physical therapist told me that all my groin pain is caused from L3 bulging. That's where you feel the pain. They hurt worse than my back thigh. I'm a staggering train wreck..... :) morgan

Hey Morgan, have you tried a gentle massages to try to relieve it. You might have a stopped up area in your lymphs. I would suggest warming it for about 10-15 minutes and then doing some very lite but firm rubbing starting at the foot and work your way up.

If the area is tender, warm or red I would suggest going to see your doc as you may have some kind of inflamation going on.

good luck, blackwolf

blackwolf, I have tried heat, ice, everything.  It is bugging the heck out of me.  I have my appt coming up soon and will discuss it with my doc, not like he can do anything,  but now my leg and foot are going numb, so I'm thinking it might be a disc.  :)    morgan

Morgan,

My neurologist told me that some of the pain might be because I have a lesion on my pons and it is affecting my nerves. I had a complete nerve test on my arms and legs and I have some nerve damage in my legs (front area below my knee). They really were not sure if it is the POTS or the lesion on my pons. Anyhow, I hope you find out some news on your next appointment.

Christine