Abdominal Epilepsy

Just wanted to throw this one out there because of several of you, mainly children who have nausea and abdominal symptoms as the worst symptom. I saw an episode of House last night that mentioned abdominal epilepsy and I was curious, so I googled it. The main symptoms are gastrointestinal, but also can have ANS or CNS symptoms and the cause is epilepsy - an EEG can pick it up. It's diagnosed more in children, but not exclusively. From what I've read it's rare - but hey, something rare is causing all this mess! If anyone's interested...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15833692

http://voices.yahoo.com/diagnosing-abdominal-epilepsy-autonomic-seizure-4220223.html?cat=70

This is very interesting...I have never heard of this, but I have to say that I now wonder whether I could have this. Just had abdominal pain last night, have had dilated pupils on occasion, vision problems and tearing. I will talk with my neurologist about this. Thank you Naomi :)

Wow! This makes me want to ask my current neuro to review the EEG results from 2 yrs ago to double check that there was NO temporal seizure activity. He is not the neuro that ordered it. He believes I have abdominal migraines (which by the way sound eerily similar to abdominal epilepsy) because I have not had any GI issues since starting Depkote (anti-seizure med) for my migraines. I wouldn't hurt to double-check so we know which thing I really have.

I have a diagnosis of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy ( Complex Partial Seizures ) This is based on 2 prior EEG's showing TLE along with an older test called a BEAM ( Brain Electical Activity Mapping ) test. This is a quantitative EEG where a computer adds things up. It is not used as much now but was when my diagnosis was made 20 years ago. I have been on antiepileptic RX 20 years and was given Propranolol for the tremor from the antiepileptic 20 years ago.

TLE causes autonomic symptoms frequently, and these symptoms of course are the same as the POTS symptoms and may be the cause of the POTS symptoms. In trying to find my answers to new symptoms in the last 2 1/2 years I saw Neuro ( epileptology and others ) and they did an inpatient continuous monitoring EEG. This showed abnormal EEG waves. The problem is that EEG's are not just positive or negative. It is like interpreting waves on the ocean. The cutoffs are only considered significant if you are symptomatic at the time. They debated over this and my impression is they really did not want me as a patient. In the end I was given an Epilepsy diagnosis, which I already have, but a follow up 2 months later.

I do believe Temporal Lobe Epilepsy diagnosed 20 years ago ties in with my POTS now. This and the sunlight via a diagnosis called Seasonal Energy Syndrome I recieved 20 years ago. I do not know exactly how it all connects but am trying my best to piece it together and more important get well.

Katybug, my advice is be careful which neuro says there is NO seizure activity. One major center world renown told me there was no seizure activity on my inpatient EEG when they reviewd it ( of course they also said I had no neuro problem and missed POTS ) but when I pointed out specific names of types of abnormal waves and percent of the population that has that type of wave which is incredibly low, they admitted those EEG waves were there ( and put them all on there report ) but said they were not the cause of my symptoms ( though they did not say that part in writing. )

I have had a negative experience with many of the medical professionals I have seen.

POTLUCK - I'm with you. I'v had several la reports reach my docs with incorrect or incomplete interpretations One set of bad info landed me in a life threateing situatinthat required emergency sugery duing my vacation 3 yrs ago. That's why I think a second look at that EEG is worth the effort. I think it is the only thing that will differentiate between abdominal migraine vs. abdominal epilepsy in my case since the only drug that is helping my migraines and my GI issues is an anti-seizure med.

POTLUCK -

Yes, Lyme can cause seizures...in fact, there aren't a lot of symptoms Lyme can't cause. And, to add to this mystery, my migraines have been completely out of control again (I've had a migraine everyday for 3 wks...not the same one but have had one every day). I have also developed swelling of my right side face which makes it look droopy, although my neuro looked at a pic of it and asked questions and determined it is swelling assoc with migraine not some sort of facial paralysis (yeah, I think :blink: ). BUT, my GI symptoms, with the exception of some mild nausea, have not come back. That makes me even more suspicous about this topic...abdominal migraine vs epilepsy????