Adderal Ritalin Etc.

I take 20 Mg adderall a day. I have been on it for a few years. The original diagnosis was adhd- but now I think the adhd symptoms were pots related, like fidgeting in the office, moving feet around a sitting *** knees up etc. It helps me "get going" in the am with an energy push I need. It has also helped with low bp's and anxiety. At first I felt weird and jittery but after sticking with it a week or so that feeling went away. The extended release worked better but the reg. adderall is cheaper if you don't have good insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my doctor if I could try Adderal because I had been shown to have low Dopamine levels and she was willing to give it a shot. It has made more difference in improving my quality of life than anything I have tried. I have always had afternoon headaches, brain fog, and fatigue and the Adderal has gone a long way in correcting that. I recently found out that I am hyperadrenergic, which I think Adderal would be contraindicated for, but it really has helped. And, for what it's worth, I do not have ADHD.

This is interesting.I have been wondering about these meds. Lemons if you start it can you post about it. Two responses -both positive. Makes it more interesting.

I just found this post on this forum through googling. There's a lot of responses about ritalin. I'm still reading....

When did ritalin become a FDA approved

blue

I love my adderall. It does SO much for my concentration/fatigue. ADD runs in my family - my mother and brother both have it (neither has POTS), so I think it's a combination of POTSy brain fog and ADD for me. I've tried ritalin too but that just wasn't cutting it. I ended up maxed out and still unable to focus on anything longer than a few minutes.

I haven't really had too many unpleasant side-effects. It can really push my hr, but my bb takes care of that for the most part. I'll have a headache sometimes, if I have to take my afternoon pill. But the good definitely outweighs the bad.

The only thing I really don't like about it is the bad rap it's gotten, with ADD not being taken seriously/over-diagnosed and adderall being abused by high school/college kids. You need a new prescription every month, which is inconvenient...and I get the feeling I'm being judged by a lot of the docs/nurses when they see it on my chart. That's definitely annoying.

But I'd definitely say give it a try. I remember feeling jittery and I had a bit of trouble sleeping for a few weeks at the beginning, but that wore off. It was just like having one too many cups of coffee. Nothing too bad.

OMG... I have to of ALL the drug I've my Adderall has given me the most positive results. It doesn't "cure" my autonomic issues of course, just makes it easier to focusing concentrate and clear out the cobwebs. I take 30mg ER 2x a day ( I think). Interestingly, it never keeps me awake, doesn't make me jumpy or "wired" (although the first day or two I was on it my hubby said I did NOT stop talking). With all of my concussions, the brain grogginess and inability think straight was driving me crazy.

My endo said that I had a slight shortage of serotonin and a larger shortage of Dopamine. My general dr. Prescribes everything for me and is by no means an expert. Ritalin, Adderall, etc. are suggested as possible treatments so she said ket's give it a try!!!! Wow! Huge world if difference, my mood changed. I could focus in something, my brain was not a jumbled mess. I was never DX'ed with ADHD but my 11 year old has it (not uncommon to run in families w/ autonomic issues).

I guess the hardest part would be finding a doctor to prescribe it without an ADD/ADHD but obviously they are there. I would gather as much info just give it a try. On the plus for, it raises my BP, on the minus it Killed whatever was left of my appetite. The key as to whether it's working us to just judge your behavior. It should not change suddenly other than the typical side effects. That's how you know if it works. I'm so glad I tried it because it has been the only med to really help me- other than Midodrine, which is small effect.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

In Dr. Grubb's Hyperadrenic Pots paper he showed that 4 out 4 people who tried it had a beneficial experience. It's hard to believe more people aren't tested on it with 100% positive results.

These positive results for hyperadrenic pots are hard to believe. Adderall is a psycho-stimulant like cocaine I wish there was more study on it..

My experience was that doctors are extremely hesitant to prescribe it. It's addictive, controlled substance. It's an amphetamine. However if you NEED it because your body needs the dopamine then you don't that hyper response.

McBlonde, MANY have a crash. That's one of the biggest problems. Did you take Extended Release or the short term? XR would be capsules. Short term a tablet. My son, 11, takes 15 mg XR. We also have a short term 15 mg dose if he needs it for a crash. However, after the first 3-5 months the crashes stopped. So he keeps with 15 mg a day. I take 30 mg XR in the morning and I think 20 mg short term mid-afternoon. It does mess with your appetite so prepare to lose weight. Some people don't but my son and I both did. Hard to tell with me because of POTS. My son started in April and June had lost 17 lbs. Perspective: he was 82 lbs down to 65. Big drop for a growing boy. The meds have such an amazing effect on him mentally but we were to the point physically where he may have to stop taking it. Well, right abound that 3-5 month timeframe he stabilized. Weight goes up & down only 3-4 pounds. All 4 quarters he was straight A's. Did not change his personality one bit. The psychiatrist said if it changes you- you don't have a dopamine problem. That simple.

So, yes crashes are very normal. Everyone will experience it in a different way. All I can say is that of every med I've tried to deal with this condition the Adderall has by far been the most beneficial.

Jen

Well.... back from the ER! LOL leave it to me!! After 5 months of slooooowly building up my walking, getting to the 30 minutes a day finally.... and BOOM... 15mg of Adderall caused such a crash when it wore off that I ended up having to get IV fluids today for the 1st time. It's too bad. It certainly helped me think clearly. Maybe Ritalin or Provigil will work better for me. At least I felt happy for 4 days!! :)

Mercy! I can't believe how crazy the side effects of medicine are after POTS! I wonder if Adderall constricts too since I responded well to the constrictor Midodrine?

Please excuse the bad writing. What a day!

Oh McBlonde... I'm sorry. It's terrible when you "might" find a beneficial drug but doesn't work out :( I take 20mg of Midodrine 3x a day and Adderall. Amazing how our our bodies are so different. I'm actually diagnosed with auto immune autonomic dysfunction neuropathy.. That could be a difference? Who knows? No one understands this stuff ;)