Can't feel my fingers

calypso

I know I have had my share of bizarre problems lately, from aching bones to bad gas. Here's a new one that I am not sure about. (And I'll try not to have any more problems, I promise!) <_<

Over the last six months or so, I have noticed that when my hands get exposed to the cold, they freeze instantaneously. I start to get a spasm-like pain in my fingers, but there's no color change in them. I told my rheumatologist about it, thinking it was Raynaud's, because I have a client who has this. He said if I didn't have the color change, it probably wasn't that.

So then in the last month or two I have noticed that I have reduced sensation in my fingers. When I run my hands under a faucet, sometimes I can't tell if water is touching them, and what the temperature is. I am wondering if this is just faulty nerves due to being chronically ill and having so many metabolic disruptions (with my muscle wasting problem and my rapid weight loss, hot flashes, etc.) or if this might be a sign of another problem -- a nutritional deficiency? I'm taking daily vitamins and supplements, but who knows.

Any ideas appreciated as always.

Amy

Both a lack of B6 and an overdose of it can cause similar symptoms. You might want to take a look at your supplements to see if there could be a correlation between those and what you're experiencing.

High doses of B6 took care of my palps and gurgles and such, but after a few months I started having the reduced sensation/numbness in my hands. I was told that since my body had rebuilt the B6, it was now too much and I should stop taking it. I've gone back to it on occasion when heart symptoms showed up, but only for a few days each time, with none of the hand trouble.

Amy, don't you just hate it when you think you have gotten used to Your symptoms and then out of the blue something else hits you?

I have not had exactly what you are describing but in the early days I had tingling in my hands (and feet) all the time. Occasionally it will still happen and sometimes I find that it is a hydration thing, even though I think I am pretty well hydrated at the time. Also, while it doesn't happen often (maybe several times a year) I am unable to tell the difference in temperature when I get in the shower or run my hands under water. For this reason, I have a mark on the shower knob so that I don't turn it too far hot and burn myself....ouch!

If you are unable to feel the water running on your hands this would seem to me something you should consult a doctor about. So, just becasue he doesn' t think it is Raynauds, can't he help figure out what it is. Have you had the nerve conduction test on your arms?

hang in there!

Opus,

I am taking a daily multivitamin that has a fair amount of B6 in it, but I have not taken any extra B complex for at least six months. I am also taking a calcium/mag supplement, L-carnitine, L-arginine (both amino acids) and a baby aspirin. I don't think that any of these should cause an excess problem, but I am no expert.

I had an EMG in May of last year, when I was first complaining of the muscle wasting. At that time I did not have the fingers issue. I don't even think the neurologist did a fingertip nerve test -- he inserted the needle all over my body, but I think the closest he got to my fingers was a spot on the back of my hand.

Amy

Guest tearose

Amy, I totally had more of this last winter and forgot about it till you mentioned it! It was much worse last year for me. What I did was to always use gloves when I had my hands in water because I could not be sure how hot the water was and I was concerned with getting hurt. I also remember using gloves when shopping in the supermarket because I could not even sign my check at the register because my fingers were so frozen and stiff! I also had trouble pumping gas into my car and had to have help. I was told last year it was a "neuropathy". When I started to get the same feeling on my face I was offered neurontin. I refused the drug since it was more annoying than painful and it has lessened over time. Hopefully you can take some measures to get you through the rest of the winter and maybe with the warmer weather you will improve!

warm wishes, tearose