More Info On Complement Activity

Katybug

Doc was intrigued with the info I took him on Complements, all from your posts and links I might add.

He really didn't know much about them and after giving him the info, I left the lab today with labs drawn for Complements 1-9, CH50 and C3A, C4A, and C5A.

Will let you all know the results.

I think this may be my last large array of labs, just too much stress trying to get them ordered right, covered, waiting for a bill if they weren't.

Not to mention, Fasting, staying off some meds, and leaving the lab with 24 tubes of blood less in my body.

24 tubes, new record for me. As usual they were shocked that I wasn't even woozy. Not woozy just dehydrated and I think have drank my weight in coconut water since.

rama - I think the inflammatory issues that the complements cause is also very relevant. When we trialed the high dose prednisone to try to bring down my elevated C4a level, the first symptoms to be alleviated were my neurologic issues and my POTS type issues. I am betting (as is my immunologist) the chronic systemic inflammation (caused by the elevated C4a) is the root of my problems. And, I also question if the vascular permiability caused by elevated complement is the cause of the dehydration issues. Plus, what issie pointed out regarding the degranulation of mast cells causing allergic/anaphylactic type reactions.

issie - Do I remember correctly that you have low IgG and/or IgM? I have low IgM and am at the very bottom of normal for IgG and I came across this last night:

http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/courses/bio141/lecguide/unit4/innate/classical.html

Wondering how I can be low IgM and high C4a. since it is IgG and IgM that start the classical complement cascade..maybe an issue with a deficiency in C1-INH?? Will let you know if I figure that one out but thought I remembered you having similar Ig issues, too.

Katybug,

I have low IGG levels and Low IGG Subclass 1 levels. I also have no immunity to pneumonia and and have autoimmune issues with vitiligo and alopecia. Of the 23 strains of pneumonia they checked me for - I showed very slight immunity to 6 of them and no immunity to the others. He said the slight immunity I showed are not even worth mentioning and he wanted to do a challenge on me. But, my dad got Guillium Barre from a flu shot and I have real fears to any type of immunization - especially those with warnings that they could cause Guillium Barre. So, I wouldn't do the test. Just have to hope I don't get pneumonia - because it would probably kill me. He gave me all the warnings about not taking the vaccine - but, I feel maybe some of my issues with POTS came from a vaccine and I'm not willing to take the chance.

Yeah, keep us posted. Interesting info.

Issie

HI All. I found this interesting. I have an elevated CH50 and all the doctor said was, you have a lot of inflammation. Also, my IgE??? I can't remember....ugh..my brain. Anyhow that was low meaning I was susceptible to infections which I usually don't get. Knock on wood!! I tried to find in this test what CH50 means, but I couldn't find it. Doctor told me it was a compliment test but it didn't say anything nice about me. :)

Hi there,

my 2 cents on the complement ch50.

it may not be much, but there is this website called www.medicalhealthtests.com - type in complement ch50 in the search bar and there is one article on ch50, then once you open the article, on the right side of the screed under related topics there's another one with some info on low and high ch50 levels.

It's not much, but you can get some ideas.

Alex

• 8 months later...

New blood work performed in Dec found I have elevated Complement total (CH50) >60, and a low Complement Component C3C. The doc called to tell me that it typically means lowered immunity. While I spent the entire year of 2012 sick with POTs/Dysaut symptoms I never caught a cold and rarely got a fever blister (which is my normal response to stress and colds). She said she's not concerned at this point as I feel about 90-95% better. But I'm happy to be putting the pieces of this puzzle together even though I feel better. Not sure what came first POTs or Complement issues. We shall see.

Interesting. I haven't had one little sniffle since I started with POTS and have such elevated C4a. Before that, I would get sick 3-4 times during cold and flu season (not bad enough to go to doc but definitely sick) . I wonder why the rest of my immune system is so strong but I can somehow have POTS/MCAD /EDS. My immunologist just told me to be glad I don't have additional problems.

Glad you are feeling so much better!

Relax and Katybug- very interesting! I had asked to have complement testing done but the doc had refused as he said it didn't change treatment. :angry: But like you, I had been pretty "healthy", other than the POTS mess for the past 3 1/2 years. This fall, my POTS stuff was better, and now I've been sick with a virus, which followed a cold sore, for 6 weeks and can't fight it off...which is also making my POTS stuff worse. Frustrating to say the least.