Low Or High Blood Pressure Symptoms

Not sure if this has been discussed before...

I know i get symptoms from low blood pressure, but does anyone get symptoms fro high blood pressure, like something over 120/80? Can you get tachycardia from high BP?

Granted I was flying yesterday, an early morning, and two flights, but not too long. I noticed after my layover after I had layed down a chilled for a bit, I felt off after. I had one some tight compressions stockings and then took my second midodrine dose. I felt like I just wanted to sit on the floor and didn't know if I was lightheaded or just jazzed up from a higher BP. I also had bad tachycardia, which in turn sets of my anxiety. I took my blood pressure when I got to my car at the end of the trip and it was high for me 124/98. So I took my stockings off.

Yes, you get symptoms from high bp's too. My bp's are nearly always high but, I have the orthostatic issues too - my pressure drops from high down -too fast. With the drops that are severe it causes the tacky even though the bp numbers may appear as normal bp's. So, same problems as those with low bp's - ours just starts from higher numbers. I have severe swings with my bp's. Like for example - yesterday my highest was 152/90 and when I woke up this morning - went to the bathroom and walked into the kitchen and sat down and took my bp it was 109/76. You see - I have wild swings in my numbers. I'm trialing clonidine right now and they are hoping it will level me out more - but, this up and down - brings a whole lot of tacky with it and lots of dizziness and feelings of naseau and faintness. (I don't faint - thank goodness.)

Probably because you weren't moving and you had on tight compression it caused your bp to go up along with the midodrine - which constricts you blood vessels and causes it to go up too. Lots of things probably contributed to it. Flying in itself causes me to have issues. I'm usually wiped out for at least a day when I get off the plane.

Issie

i have had the same question/problem. my BP has been rising lately when i feel bad, but i still feel faint. idk how you can feel faint and have "high" BP at the same time. i did my 2nd TTT yesterday, and my BP went up to 140/90 when i was rasied, then during pre-syncope dropped to 90/?. i don't have the answer, but i would like one.

i know a doctor told me that most people cant tell they have high blood pressure, but I think we are so in-tune that we sure can tell!

I understand the faint thing, it's not like I am blacking out, but I feel like I could collapse. So to be safe I sit and it makes me so nervous, what the heck?

I havent had a tilt for a year and on my tilt my BP mostly dropped to 60/40 after about 4 minutes. I really like to think I am getting better, maybe?? : )

• 7 months later...

In terms of fainting while having high blood pressure (using arm measurements)... having a high systemic blood pressure (i.e. at the usual point of measurement - just above the elbow - or at the wrist) doesn't always correlate to having enough blood pressure in your brain, especially in folks with pooling/blood flow issues. Not enough blood in the brain - even if the systemic blood pressure is okay - can lead to syncope.

For me, high blood pressure leads to the shakes, feeling really cold, and my eyes behaving wacky. It's funny - I can really tell!

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting point because nearly all of the symptoms of OI - even where it presents with orthostatic hypertension are almost identical to those of low blood pressure.

In true essential hypertension there is excessive blood perfusion of the brain, vasoconstriction of the kidney and INCREASED blood volume. In POTS even with postural hypertension there is dizziness, weakness, coldness, reduced cerebral blood perfusion and low blood volume.

So patients with OI do not experience symptoms of hypertension.