Snorkling And Swimming

issie

I love to swim and every chance I get I go with my husband to Hawaii (he's fortunate enough to work there some) and when we go we always go snorkeling.

I did a night snorkel trip to watch manta rays swim. It was absolutely gorgeous - except for me getting sea sick on the boat before I jumped in and then the water was kind of rough and it got me sicker - so, because I was barfing - it brought the rays right up under me and my husband even got lifted when one pushed him up under his feet. Everyone around was happy that I "called them to dinner" - but, I missed seeing as much as I would have liked. It was a wonderful experience (except for getting sick). The scuba divers go to the bottom and shine lights up and the snorkelers are on top shining lights down - that draws the plankton to the light and the plankton is what the manta rays eat and that draws them there. That night there were over 20 rays - the night before they said they saw over 40. They are huge and glide through the water effortlessly. With their big mouths open, scooping in the plankton. It was an amazing life experience.

One thing about snorkeling and POTS - has anyone else noticed if the salt water makes your blood pressure go up? If I stay in too long, I will start having POTS in the water. I know not to use my arms to swim - any using of my arms will bring on a POTS attack for me. And I also figured out that there is a thing called re-breathing where carbon dioxide gets trapped in the bottom part of your snorkel and you re-breathe it and it can cause you to hyperventilate because you take in too much carbon dioxide and not enough oxygen. I figured this part out with some research - because, when I get out I have a POTS flare and can't catch my breath - it starts in the water and then after climbing out onto lava steps and getting out of the water - it's really bad. But, I think something to do with the salt and water is an issue for me. I have high blood pressure and wonder if the salt is increasing it more. I haven't been able to find anything on it. Anyone know?

Issie

I love the ocean. It is my absolute favorite place in the world. Every summer my family rents a house in North Carolina and I'm not exactly sure why but when I'm there I just feel perfect. Probably because I'm relaxed, getting lots of fluids and exercise, salty air, and vitamin D. I have spent hours floating and swimming in the ocean and besides getting a little breathless when the tide is rough I'm ok. That snorkeling experience sounds amazing! Sorry you felt sick for some of it. The breathing of carbon dioxide thing is interesting. I have never snorkeled before but I feel like I might get clausterphobic breathing underwater.

That's what's so great about snorkeling. You are on top of the water and you can raise your head out of the water any time. Once you learn to breathe through your mouth with the snorkel - and learn to relax and let your body go limp - you float and it is amazing. It's one of my favorite things to do.

I've swam with sharks in the water too and seen an eagle ray, swam with dolphins, heard the whales singing to each other - in the water and watched them play, swam with sea turtles and watched them at cleaning stations. Seen all kinds of fish. This is all in Hawaii. When I went to Florida - it's a whole other type of things to see. There are more varieties of coral in Florida and the colors and textures are absolutely stunning. It's so pretty you can't imagine. It's like swimming in an aquarium. Only got frightened one time - it's when a 6 foot long barracuda came within arms length to me. That freaked me out a little. But, he didn't bother me and went on his way.

Yeah, swimming is one thing I can do with POTS and I love it.

Issie

I'm fortunate to have a really strong husband and a good bit of the time - he sort of pulls me along. I don't have to put a whole lot of effort into it and really enjoy it.

Sorry Rama, that you got sick and didn't have someone to pull you along. If, I had gotten sick and had to power myself back to the boat - it would have been even worse. We had told the guy we hired to take us on the trip about my illness and I had two strong guys helping me out. Neither of them left my side and they helped me get back into the boat by literally lifting me out of the water. Did you figure out what made you sick? Was it the salt water, over exertion, or too much carbon dioxide - or it just happened?

It's really cold in the ocean, especially at night and even though I had a wet suit on - I was still freezing. I wonder if vasoconstriction plays a part in my getting sick. I wish I could figure it out, because then I might could do something to counter-act it. That's one thing I will NOT stop doing - even if I get sick from it. It's worth it!

Issie

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Issie...that was an amazing experience...except for the vomiting :) I love to snorkel and I used to scuba, before I was sick. I love the beach, too :rolleyes: ...I absolutely love the water. I should have been a fish...lol. I think it is the vasoconstriction from the cold water that raises your blood pressure, because it happened to me once in the evening in a chlorinated pool, as well. I started getting very symptomatic, and had to get out. It also happens to me, if I have been swimming for too long, too. I always wear flippers, if I swim in the gulf over my head with a buddy, because of it. We live 6 1/2 hours from the gulf. It's the farthest I've ever lived from the beach. My mom and dad lived in Panama City, Florida for years, so we would take the boys every summer. Since they've grown, and I can no longer travel by myself, it doesn't happen as often, anymore. My dad was the "beach bum". He taught me how to swim in the Atlantic off Long Island, New York, when I was little; but he's been gone for 13 years now. I inherited his love of swimming, and have the long slender body for it. I was on the swim team, when I was a teenager B)

Ha! I grew up going to Panama City. I only lived about an hour from Pensacola and my stopping grounds were Fort Pickens and Destin. I loved it there and we would go every chance we got. We camped there and spent many a summer having fun on the beach. Watching the Blue Angels practicing their maneuvers and playing in the forts. My hubby and I did a lot of our dating there and rode many a bicycle and motorcycle down there. Once he and I married we would ride our motorcycle from north Alabama to Florida and camp out down there. We got a pass to go on the base and went up to the hanger where the Blue Angels have their planes and practice. I don't think we were supposed to be in that part - but, we got lost. It was a fun experience though. There is a really good air museum there. I'm so into airplanes and air shows. My hubby doesn't understand it - but, I grew up all my life watching them practice and it really intriges me. I haven't been to a good air show in a long time.

Okay, back to the beach. We maybe saw each other in Panama City. How funny is that? It has really changed a lot. Destin is the destination these days - since the hurricane destroyed Ft. Pickens.

Issie

Loved to read your stories! I've been in the US once and we stayed in Kissimee(FL). We were there for about 3 and a half weeks and soooooooo enjoyed it. Close to Disney (the kids LOVED it as did we!) and close to the sea. We've been on both coasts and adored the warm water and the shells we found. Driving along the beach made our boys scream "daddy daddy you can't drive here, this is the beach!!!!" (we're def not allowed to drive on the beach in the Netherlands!), we had SO much fun. We also went to Cape Kennedy which was really interesting and travelled along that area (beautiful nature).

Sorry pretty off topic just wanted to share some happy memories!

Corina, glad you enjoyed Florida. Did you go down to the keys? Some of my most memborable snorkeling trips were down there. I swam with my first sharks there. It was a little un-nerving to see a reef shark right up under me and that's also where I swam with the baricudda they called "Oscar" the 6 foot long one. The water is so clear there you can see so far down and the colors are just magneficent. There is so many different types of coral there and the shapes and textures are just beautiful. However, since I have issues with motion sickness - the coral sways under water with the surge and watching it go back and forth - makes me sick. But, I love to watch it despite myself. There are more colors of fish there too. The yellow tangs and the clown fish are so beautiful - tons of them.

I'm glad you were able to take a trip here and glad for some reason my stories took you back there.

Issie

Issie, we went camping near the base in Pensacola, as well and saw the air show with the blue angels and went to the museum too!! That is too funny...small world;)

Guys since you are my friends by now I can think I get away with saying this. Thanks for all the vomit stories :-/ lol two big ocean tips that really work. 1. If you get sea sick stare out into the distant flat horizon, old sailor trick and 2. Take none drowsy Dramamine, also called Dramamine 2, it really works well for motion sickness of all kinds..

Now when I used to think I had exercise induced asthma, one of the only intense exercise I could tolerate was swimming. I felt it kept me hydrated preventing an attack. Now that I know I have exercise induced hypotension and pots, it could be the hydration but also could be having an effect on keeping my BP steady as well...

LOL :) Rich! Ha!Ha! I wish your tricks would work for me ----but, they don't. I've tried all the tricks and the best thing for me is to use ginger and Motion Mate by Hylands. Looking at the horizon didn't work and any kind of dramaine makes me sicker. It dries you out and makes you weird in the head. I used to try some acupressure wrist bands - but that really didn't work either. Also, having a few salty crackers helps a little and lying down with your feet up and closing your eyes. Since your eyes play a big part in the sickness. I had one of the boat guys tell me that motion sickness is 90% in your head and 10% real. I told him --well, it's the 10% that is getting me right this minute. I've been sick every time I've been on a boat and I can even get sick watching the ripples on the water. So, something to do with the movement and my eyes. But, despite all that ----I'm not stopping my snorkel trips - I love it too much.

Yeah, I think swimming is good for everyone and it won't hurt us EDS people.

Issie

The Dramamine 2 isn't actually it is Meclozine, that's just aka name. It's an antihistimine, which you have told me you already take for mcas issues, so it might be worth trying out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclozine... The horizon trick for me works better when you're on a boat that is higher up so you can kind of not look at the waves...

Don't think I've tried the Dramaine 2 but I do react to some antihistamines in a bad way. Couldn't use a few of them or an RX I tried one time. But, I will tuck that in the back of my mind as something to try. Most of the boats you're on when in Hawaii or Florida or not very big and you really feel the rocking with them. I have been on a larger boat - that they called a Ferry to Catalina Island off the California coast and as long as I looked out at the horizon and not at the water (and dolphins) I was better, but still got sick (just not throwing up sick). But, kept my ginger ale in my hand and had taken lots of ginger caps before I boarded. Oh well, thanks for the tips - it would be nice to not have that sort of nausea - cause it's the worst. We did a mail-run trip one time around the islands around Maine and that was interesting - but again. Ugh!!! I guess, I don't let it stop me though. We had wanted to go to Nova Scotia but there was some sort of illness there and we couldn't go. Plus the seas were really rough and they didn't think we'd see whales at all then.

I love snorkeling too. Had a scary run in with a bunch of jelly fish one time though lol I wish I will be able to do it again, right now it's hard to imagine but I have hope. One thing that makes me so nervous is throwing up. One of the incidents that I think caused my POTS could have been this awful stomach virus I had after eating bad chicken soup. I won't say the gross details but I ended up in the ER from it and now I do every trick in the book to prevent throwing up.. Now that I have POTS I'm even more nervous because diarrhea and vomiting can cause major dehydration.

Issie you are really courageous keep it up.

Thanks Rich, I intend to. Got to live life to the best and fullest you can - time goes so fast and you don't want to miss life experiences because of what we have. Determination is a great motivator. You just have to learn to do things a little differently. I've got a lot of challenges when it comes to snorkeling and the sun. You see, I have to wear a full body rash guard and gloves and a head cover because of the vitiligo that I have (losing my skin pigment color due to autoimmune issues) and I will burn within a matter of minutes. I just cover up good and enjoy life any way. Soooooooo, people give me these odd looks and ask me if the water is cold. I just laugh and say -no it's wonderful. I walk around like I belong in that get-up and don't worry about what others may think. Hey, I'm living my life the way I want to. Finding ways to do what I love. And I dare anyone or anything (POTS) to try to stop me. LOL :)

Issie