Blood Volume Testing?

Anoj

Can anyone here tell me what's involved with this? I've googled and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I want specifics like, do they inject you with something? Do they put you in an MRI machine? How long does it take? Does it make you feel funny? I'm just trying to figure out what to expect, as I'm having this done soon in a nuclear medicine center. Thanks in advance!

Good question, I'm interested in this as well.

Wow, I think I had this last year (too many tests they all blend together). I think they did this and a bunch of other tests that day.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/nuclear/bloodvolumetesting.aspx

Edited by Monstrosity

I had this test done shortly after I was dx'd with Pots (at my local hospital's nuclear med dept, not CC). This will be very "laymen's terms" but its what i can remember! :) I was lying down the whole time. The nurse did an IV & took a number of blood samples. Then he injected radioactive isotopes thru the IV, which we had to let circulate (I lay there and watched tv). Then he took more blood at various intervals. Overall I counted about 20 vials of blood taken. Definitely felt wonky afterward, and had to stop in the cafeteria for juice & a snack (was new to pots & wasn't carrying those things yet!). Also highly recommend a driver as you may be tired. I had no reaction to the injection or otherwise, and since my test showed low blood volume, that's probably why I was so beat afterward. All in all I didn't find it too uncomfortable. Good luck with your test! Hope it gives you some more info :)

(null)

thanks for your responses. i mainly wanted to know if you are placed in an enclosed machine. my dr. asked me if i were clausterphobic ... didn't know why, but i think he was referring to the vestibular testing.

I checked my records and yes I did have that test done and no your not enclosed. I just had a balance test done last week. If you want any details let me know but I for warn you it was rough...

Its called a Daxor Blood Volume Test http://www.daxor.com/indications.asp and I just found out the other day there is one near me in Richmond, VA. The one at CC is a special nuclear test, but the Daxor is supposedly just a accurate and there are more locations that offer it.

Hope that helps!

Claire

• 2 weeks later...