Sucrose...fatigue, Palpitations, Tachycardia & Hypertension...any Thoughts?

derekliz

There was an article in First for Women magazine about this (I will try to find the online article and post). But in the meantime, i found this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6337950/

I am supposed to drink 3 liters of gatorade and the first ingredient...sucrose!! The article i have mainly talked about sucrose and fatigue. Any thoughts?

Liz

The dose makes the poison as they say. I don't know how the info from this study could be extrapolated to determine if chronic use of gatorade may be a concern. It certainly does not have the sucrose content of soda...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/76582-gatorade-vs.-soda/

There are drinks like gatorade out there with less sugar (they may be more expensive however).

Personally I think I'd be more concerned about the sucrose being consumed overall in the diet and not just in the Gatorade?

Just some thoughts!

I've been a little concerned about drinking the sucralose in my Gatorade (G2) as well. I have always avoided any of those artificial sweeteners, so drinking it everyday is a little unsettling to me. Until I find a better alternative though, I guess I'll keep drinking it. I've been switching back and forth between regular Gatorade and G2 (tons of sugar vs sucralose) for now.

I had searched some previous posts on the forum about it and noticed that some people come up with their own electrolyte drinks which may be a good alternative. I did try pedialyte as well, but I found it really hard to drink the amount I needed to consume.

A healthy option would be great...

When I am in a relapse I drink coconut water (which is actually a very ancient Indian cure for dehydration--and was used as IV fluid in the Pacific during WWII!). It works really well for me. It's much higher in potassium than Gatorade, which I seem to need during relapses. But it is expensive and if I needed rehydration drink regularly I am sure I'd be using something more affordable. You can certainly buy rehydration salts that do not include artificial colors and sweeteners. I would want to make sure they contain some potassium (as Gatorade does) b/c long-term use can lead to hypokalemia otherwise, from what I understand.

I stopped the gatorade today and maybe it is coincidence but I feel better. Brain fog and fatigue are at a minimum. Walked over 2 miles and worked out on my rowing machine.

I take sodium chloride tablets, they are 1GM each. I am supposed to take 3-6 per day but at the most I remember to take 2. Do sodium pills lower potasium levels? Mine have been normal. If so, would I be ok with just a multi vitamin that includes potassium and eating a banana daily??

Liz

MomtoG: that's interesting about the coconut water! I'm going to look into that - thanks! What type of store would you buy it in? health food store? grocery store?

When I was in hospital for my initial episode at the onset of POTS, I was found to have low potassium. I hadn't been on any meds at the time and hadn't been ill, so they couldn't figure out a reason for it to be so low. So, I'm always careful to make sure I'm getting at least some.

Allaboutpeace

It's become a fad drink so it can be found in many places such as health food stores--but I can even get it at my local grocery store. It generally comes in cartons in the non-refrigerated juice section or maybe a specialty section of the store.

For some reason some POTS patients have a tendency towards low potassium. Whenever I am in a flare up I also eat extra potassium rich foods along w coconut water.