Alcohol Sensitivity Related To Pots?

abbyw

Hi,

I have always had a bad reaction to alcohol - as far back as I can remember. Drinking even a small amount of wine would make me feel what I would now classify as pre-syncope, but then I just called it awful :unsure: . I get really hot and dizzy and would just lie down on the floor wherever I was with my chest hurting and my head aching and sweating all over.

I am now wondering if I was always pre-potsie.

Other things I have always been sensitive to are novacaine shots at the dentist, which I now know contain epinephrine, and eating too much "sugary" sugar - chocolate, jelly beans, etc would always lead to a headache.

Do you think these are related to my new condition or a coincidence?

Thanks!

Abby

It is common for people with autonomic dysfunction to reacte badly to alcohol. I used to be just fine with it but one of the first symptoms I got was not being able to tolerate any alcohol anymore. I can't even have 1/2 a beer or glass of wine. It doesn't make me drunk...it makes me horribly sick.

Same here. Never tolerated it well but since I became sick, I can't even share a margarita with my husband or I become really ill.

If it weren't for all the meds I'm taking, I'd be a cheap date. :D

Edited by Chaos

Sorry to chime in on your POTS thread-I'm just Auto. Neuropathy and Orthostatic intolerance person. But alcohol is a big trigger and I will instantly black out. I went to my friends initiation of their new marble bar they set up in their backyard. I told him I couldn't drink, but he kept insisting, 47 years old and I caved under peer pressure. So I took a sip of his wonderful smelling pear margarita, it was probably less than a tablespoon and not 2 minutes later, my head hit the bar. Passed out instantly. WE think all the alcohol was on the top and I must have got a dose of it. They told me I was the first sober person to pass out at their new bar. The doctor at Mayo laughed when I told him this story and said, yeah, alcohol and your condition don't mix. Evidently!!!

A shot of whiskey!!! Wow!

I'm not brave enough to try anything at this point. I really wanted to have a Lime beer with my brother when he was here on St. Patrick's Day, but fear took over. My POTS story began after I had two drinks in a restaurant with co-workers while I was away on a conference. I had two syncope episodes and the paramedics administered a bag of IV and oxygen before they even transported me out of the restaurant. Apparently I missed alot of drama (coworkers freaking out/crying) when I was unconscious. It all must have been wonderful entertainment for people trying to eat their dinner...