Magenesium And It's Effects On Depression - Connection To Sodium And Calcium Channels And Glutamate Connections

issie

I found a very interesting article on Magensium and it's connection to depression. Also, shows the connection in the sodium and calcium channels and the connections with glutamates and why there could be possible paradox reactions with using the wrong type of magnesium.

http://george-eby-research.com/html/magnesium-for-depression.pdf

Very interesting article.

(

Issie

the article on "Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium" -

Issie - I can't open this. Really interested as been feeling low on the Fludro and i have some magnesium but been afraid to take it because of erratic reactions. Maybe i should try it now I am more stable.

They mentioned serveral types of magnsieum. Are you not able to pull the article up Rich?

They found that one person got instant depression with a few types of magnesium and also calcium. It seems some are super sensitive to calcium and don't process it correctly - according to the one study. (Funny, I've never done well with calcium and I've tried every kind available. I have recently found one that I can take one cap of but, it is suggested to take 4. So, I must be one of the sensitive ones.) One man had to totally eliminate all calcium and all dairy to maintain his emotional stability. The article said he didn't develop osteoporosis due to low calcium in a 5 year observation period - all was fine. This man had problems with magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate because if lead to excess glutamate (so these are the ones the article suggest NOT using.)

But, they are finding that magnesium helps with depression and fainting and dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, headaches, sensitivities, muscle weakness, tremors and the list goes on. It also mentions breathing difficulties. It's helping with ADHD and hypothyroid. It recommends 200-400 mg. to improve sleep. It is a natural NMDA antagonist and GABA agonist - it also plays a role in the reinin-angiotension-aldosterone system. It is supposed to help with chronic pain.

BUT, magnesium can increase NO (nitric oxide) and some people are already too high in NO with POTS. So, magnesium is not going to work for everyone. They found you can eliminate the diarrhea by including arginine - this will also increase NO.

(That's just a quick run down of the article.)

It's a good article and seems like magnesium may be beneficial for many reasons. But, it's not for all POTS patients.

Thanks so much for alerting me to this, Issie! I sometimes take a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm to help me sleep. I also read somewhere magnesium might help those with EDS. This product says it has "Ionic magnesium citrate" which they claim is a proprietary blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate which is supposedly highly absorbable. Is this a type the article says may cause depression in some people? I don't tolerate milk and it makes me really sleepy and lethargic but I assumed it was the lactose because I can eat SCD 24 hour yogurt which has calcium but is low lactose. But I also get sluggish from too much cheese so I wonder if calcium might be a problem for me after all? Cheese is fairly high histamine so I try not to eat too much but I LOVE it. Sigh. I am on an antidepressant and ADHD meds though so I think I better investigate the calcium a bit more! Thanks!

edited to add: I got the link to open! Thanks, redoctober.

Issie!!! The article is fascinating. Thanks so much for posting it! I've got to really study it. On my first skim read I noticed it mentions Kefir... I've got to research how that differs from the SCD 24 hour yogurt which I eat for low lactose probiotics to help my damaged gut. Anyone here ever make Kefir?

i love cheese... histamine and now calcium might be a problem? ACK!

Thanks redoctober for getting the correct article in there. I'm not too good with the computer link stuff and type it in the hard way. So, this is the article I read and thought was so interesting.

Yeah, I've always known that I don't do well with calcium. I've tried every form and every brand and have to stay away from dairy myself. So found it interesting. Also, the type of magnesium I was using was also one that said it could cause depression. I wondered why I have been so bad lately and one thing is I had just added the magnesium in and it was the wrong kind. So, going out to get a different one today. I have to take it at night right before bed because it will knock me out. I can't function in the day with it - but, it sure makes sleep better.

Issie

Issie, please let me know if you find the kind of magnesium they recommend! I wish that article would have gone into more detail about Epsom Salts. If anyone finds more info on the type of magnesium in Epsom Salts, please share the link. If I'm feeling "toxic" an Epsom Salt bath makes me feel so much better.

I've taken Epsom Salt orally to bring my bp down in a hurry when it's been really high and it does work. Taste awful - but, it will lower bp's. I think the two that were said to cause depression were magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate - these are the no's. So, I'm thinking that any type other than that may be okay. I'm going to the store tomorrow to get a different kind than what I was taking. The kind I had started was the kind that causes depression.

Issie

• 1 month later...

I got magnesium citrate and seem to be doing okay on it. (Some people are liking magnesium oxide even better. But the citrate form, according to some research I did is supposed to be the most absorbable form.) One thing, if you take too much it will give you the "trots". My tabs are only 250 mg. and they seem to be about right. Seems to be helping with sleep. But, you must be careful with magnesium - it can lower your bp.

Issie

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

bump ---Even though I now don't take magnesium. Dr. Fry feels that it helps biofilms to be stronger, and the bacteria and virus and protozoa that live in it to be more resistant to detection.

But, if you are going to take it - better to take the kind that won't cause depression.

Issie

• 2 weeks later...