Do We "crash" For No Reason?

puppylove

I had been feeling so great for almost eight days in a row- not one symptom! I haven't changed a thing and today I'm back to feeling absolutely awful. I know POTS is a rollercoaster of good and bad but there has to be some reason, right? It's just so hard to believe that I could be symptom free for days and all the sudden get all my symptoms full force for no reason. Does anyone know of anything, or do you just accept not knowing?

I think there is a "trigger" for most symptoms, though the matrix of factors is so complex it's difficult to decipher what is really causing any particular problem. For example, I could walk a long distance, but would get fatigued if a short activity involved raising my arms over my head. Something exciting is exhausting by default, so that was another trigger. My monthly mentral cycle, my quality of sleep, my stress level, and even the weather can influence my POTS symptoms. So it's just a big juggling act, and very difficult to pin down a solid "understanding" with operational application (like I can get control over all the factors in order to control, or at least predict, my symptoms). It took me many years to gradually realize all the coping mechanisms that worked and all the triggers that caused symptoms.

I'd like to add, however, that this experience has taught me an important life lesson, which I may otherwise not have realized, namely to be thankful for temporary joys while they are there. Essentially, nothing lasts anyway. So, I believe that was an important lesson that fluctuations in my symptoms helped me to see and really practice.