Help! What Causes Sensitivity To Drugs?

I'm going to take a guess. Possibly liver dysfunction. If the liver doesn't detox properly then things would circulate and be taken back up by the body and recirculated - then there might be too much - when actually we've taken very little. (Just a guess.)

I asked someone else this recently and was told that there are studies being conducted about this right now. They thought it was something to do with the central nervous system.

But, years ago I read a book by a doctor out of New York. Who thought that there are some people who are just super sensitive to things. The idea is this: Like the yellow canary that is carried into the mine - to detect bad air, etc. If things are bad there the little bird is so sensitve that he will die and it will give the men enough warning to get out before they die. This doctor thought that there are some people who are just that tuned into things and are super sensitive. He didn't think it was a bad thing, but a good thing. Because we can be more in tune with our bodies and our environment. Where other people go about life and don't realize there is "bad air". I happen to be one of those little birds. "Tweat, Tweat." LOL Super sensitive.

Issie

While I am not familiar with the supplement you took which triggered you to go from having medicaiton sensitivity to the opposite effect, I have been reading up on medication sensitivities. This term means different things to different people.

Medication sensitivity can mean:

1) allergic reaction to active ingredients (such as penicilin) or entire classification of drugs (sulfa containing meds, such as antibiotics, migraine sumatriptans, HCTZ and scores of others)

2) sensitivities to inactive ingredients, such as gluten, lactose, corn (cornstarch, gelatin, etc), dyes (Yellow FD&C 5 and 6 and Red 40 are huge issues for those with asprin/salicylate sensitivity)

3) non-immune mediated sensitivites (such as crossover medication sensivities with food allergies) or direct mast cell degranulation from betablockers, alphablockers, penicillins, quinolones, sulfas, lidocaine, NSAIDS, anesthesia meds, opiates, and a bunch of other meds.

Each of these categories tends to have their own symptom profile. Allergic reactions most notably involve hives, and angioedema, but can also involve GI evacuation (vomiting and "D"), flushing, headache and a host of other symptoms. Mast cell attacks look the same and can end up in anaphylaxis.

Nausea can sometimes be addressed by the timing of the meds, with meals, at night, etc. When there are no alternative formulations available, I've read that some even take digestive enzymes to overcome lactose sensitivity, which is due to lack of lactase in gut to break down lactose.

Now add in sluggish or speedy metabolism, which is based on GI motility and liver function.

Those with a mast cell disorder have documented severe sensitivities to foods, scents and meds. People with allergies, such as hayfever tend to have worsening sensitivities at peak pollen times. Medication sensitivities have been reported to be triggered by a chemical injury (such as mold exposure or chemical overload), surgery, massive doses of meds after hospitalization, vaccines, untreated/undertreated autoimmune disorders, general metabolism shifts or other reasons.

As you can see, it is very complicated.

Best wishes in figuring it all out.

My personal theory is reduced blood volume. Think about it- if you mix a regular dose of meds with a smaller amount of blood it is going to be more concentrated then if you mixed it with the "normal" amount of blood. I think this is why we usually do okay with pediatric doses of meds