Strange Question

GingerA

I just wondered if I was crazy or if anyone else was having this symptom.

I have always had trouble with my arms going numb when I slept. But two nights ago, in the middle of the night, 4 year old son called me. I tried to get up but my leg had no feeling what so ever! I couldn't tell if I was standing on it or not and I had no control over my foot! My ankle twisted under my foot and I collapsed. It took several minutes to get the feeling and control to come return. It really scared me because I couldn't control a part of my body and I could have broken my foot.

Is this a POTS thing or is this something else?

Hi Ginger, I've had this before as well, but mine went away after maybe 15 minutes so I think my legs or arms were just REALLY asleep in my case. Did you get pins and needles when the feeling and control came back? That's what happens to me, so (maybe mistakenly) I've always assumed it's just an extreme case of my limbs going to sleep. It's so weird though having no sensation at all and no control over a body part like that!

As far is if it's a POTS thing, I don't know for sure, but my circulation is so terrible sometimes that it kind of makes sense that we might be more prone to this.

When I first started having symptoms after a virus 13 years ago, I had horrible nerve pain, and I felt like my limbs were so heavy on my complete right side, and I couldn't sleep on that side, or it would go completely numb. It last for 4-5 years, and because of the pain, I couldn't sleep. My doctor prescribed a small dose of amitriptyline for a few months, and the pain finally went away. I still don't sleep on that side, I have no idea what caused it, but it even hurt to touch me at the time. I have had several role overs on that ankle, too, since, and sprained my ankle so badly last year, that after 2 weeks, it was still bruised from my heel to my toes! Be careful...