Ganglionic Nicotinic A3 Receptor Autoantibodies - Smoking?

I actually started smoking after I got pots. I honestly thought I had some weird disease that I was going to die from and thought I had nothing to lose. Sometimes I wonder if it kept me functional for longer. It did give me the extra energy I was missing. I first realized something was wrong in 2007 and I remember the tachy, chest pain, anxiety etc. Then I started smoking and it kind of went away, at least to a point of being functional for the next 4 years. During which time, I smoked. (I have no idea if this was because of the smoking or because of other unintentional compensations). Once I learned I had pots, after hitting a functional wall, I quit, and quitting made my symptoms better. Also, the stimulant from smoking became too much to handle and appeared to be contributing to adrenaline surges. As far as I am aware, I do not have autoimmune going on though.

I was never a smoker and never lived with it. I have found that nicotine gum is very helpful for me if I need to drive or go somewhere. It is a little boost and seems to help get some blood to my brain. :) According to my testing I have autoimmune Hyper POTS. I think the gum gives a boost like coffee without the diuretic effect. It makes me a bit less foggy.

I did see some research on nicotine being explored to help people with Parkinson's. Interesting because both are neuro problems.

• 7 months later...
Guest mattgreen

I experimented with nicotine gum some months back as a way to treat hypotension. I am not a smoker. I took a piece and had a thoroughly unhappy experience, to put it mildly. I decided to try again today as I am now fairly certain I have an autoimmune neuropathy and that AAG in particular acts on the ganglion type nicotinic receptor as does nicotine.

I will never put a piece on nicotine chewing gum in mouth again for love nor money. It was as if my CNS was being strangled. Thank Jobe it has a short half life.

Now I am wondering if this is significant?

I think maybe nicotine may increase POTS issues if AcHr is an issue. From the article I listed above - it seems that Tramadol suppress it and works on the sympathetic system. And from the way Rama presented his question - seems maybe he thinks that too. So, if that is an issue with you Matt - then you maybe found a piece of your puzzle. I'm sure Rama has done much more research on this then I have - so hopefully, he will comment on this.

Sorry your experiment was awful. But, maybe it will have been worth it.

Issie

I also drink coffee sometimes. Just knowing how the two work on my body, I wouldn't try it if you have negative effects from caffeine. My heart rate is also sometimes really low ( like the high 40's). on days when my HR is high I do not drink coffee. I am sensitive to it's affects but sometimes it helps me with my lack of energy.