Holding Your Breath--Accidentally?

You know, i remember when I first got pots almost 5 years ago, I would catch myself holding my breath all the time. I thought that was the problem and along with some other inadvertent compensations, was able to overcome it. In this exacerbation, I am noticing the same thing, I keep catching myself not breathing. When I do this, I take in a deep breath and if makes me feel better. I know breathing is an autonomic function, wondering if this happens to anyone else.

This started happening about a week before my first flare. When I finally ended up in the hospital they were concentrating on my super high bp and hr and totally dismissed the breathing. They said I was just just "anxious". Give me a break. I didn't have anything to be nervous about BEFORE my first flare.

Good news is, it's been 2 years since then and I haven't had the breathing issues since.

Thank you for sharing this! I was really wondering about my breathing. I find myself either really shallow or not at all and have to take several deep breathes. I also wake up with a start, I believe because my breathing was too shallow. I haven't had a sleep study done, but that won't help me during the daytime anyway! It's especially bad if I let myself get overly tired.