Dr. Suleman Patients - Any Tips Or Advice?

martiz

Hello again,

I have contacted Dr. Suleman's office and he takes my insurance so I am ready to set an appt.

I will have to stay in the area for the week for possible testing. I will be sending all pertinent tests to his office beforehand but I think he will be running the same tests I have already had. I'm okay with that.

I found a Motel 6 in the area which is affordable - I am on limited income.

Are there any other usual expenses from Dr. Suleman (other than my copay?) I want to make sure I have enough money to cover my trip. I would be driving from Houston.

I would be staying in Plano which is halfway between his two offices.

Any tips or suggestions?

Marti

I would love to hear your experience with Dr. Suleman. I am debating right now on going to Dallas for 2 weeks to do the intensive biofeedback program for POTS. They work very closely with Dr. Suleman and Levine and offered to set up an appointment with him while I was there if I wanted further testing done. I'm not sure if I do or not. Not convinced it would really make that much difference.

What testing does he normally do?

I don't think there is anything specific to prepare for.

A couple things, it's going to EXHAUSTING. He does a lot of test. He did around 18 on me.  

Sometimes the wait is long, he really likes to give due time to each patient.  But they want you to be as comfy as possible, there's water in the waiting room :) you can ask for a kindle if you like too. 

Dr S doesn't  perform the testing, he has other techs & dr's do that.

Lastly, most of the people are foreign and have thick accents. You have to listen carefully at times.

Everyone has always been very nice. 

What a great group!

@ I Hate Bananas - I was planning on going alone. My son is away at college and I don't want to wait till he gets home.

@AShelton80 - if you are a woman - willing to split a hotel room. Really don't want to stay in a Motel 6 but the Holiday Inn is too expensive. PM me if you are interested. I don't have an appt set yet - waiting till my recent endocrine bloodwork is in so I can send them my records. Thinking 3rd week in March but I'm open.

I have done biofeedback before for anxiety and found it to be tremendously helpful. I could never relax before I had that experience - just one session. My brain and body did well listening to the tone and my body learned how to relax. Really amazing. Not sure how that applies to POTS.

Could you send me a link on the program - I am interested in learning about it.

Marti

Here is the link to his website. I thought the tests that he offered were more applicable to me then other Texas doctors.

http://www.theheartbeatclinic.com/servicesoffered.php

I cancelled my appt with Dr. Levine to see Dr. Suleman instead based on posts here and the list of tests.

I could never get Dr. Levine's office to tell me what tests he routinely runs (I know they couldn't tell me which ones he would run but at least what tests he offers - everyone else has that on their website).

Also, my endocrinologist didn't want me to see Dr. Levine. She thinks his exercise program is too strenuous. She wanted me to see a doc in Houston, Dr. Nasir or Dr. Shabani but I liked Dr. Suleman's test list better.

Marti

I asked about someone going with you because it's a lot to proccess. Maybe (if you're able) you could bring a notebook & pen or even a tape recorder to jot things down. It goes quickly & my first appointment is a real blur

Yes, that's the problem she's talking about.I did only some of the program. This is what I posted on ashletons post

thanks for all of the links. I search on biofeedback but included the word POTS.

I am still learning how to search the archives.

I am glad that the program helped you. I think it would help me as well. Not sure that I can afford the program.

Perhaps the software to do from home.

I would love one or two sessions to learn the basics and then do the rest on my own. I will call tomorrow and find out more (maybe my insurance is one of the ones covered).

Thanks again,

Marti

• 11 months later...

I got back from Dr Suleman yesterday. )) -he didn't even want my medical records I brought and he re did EVERYTHING and then some. I did 13 tests in 2.5 days, (if worried about $ one night was a sleep study so maybe not book everything in advanced so you don't have to pay for a night your not there) HAVE SOMEONE GO WITH YOU! (You will be way more than exhausted! For sure!) I paid my co pay on the first day I went, and also a co pay on the last day I went (those are the times I actually saw and talked with him, the second was a bunch of tests performed by other people)

I have an appt for The POTS Treatment Center on 2/25- 3/8, I am debating on canceling because dr Suleman said he doesn't think I will benifit from the program as much as everyone else because anxiety and hyperventilation are not an issue with me. -BUT he does highly reccomend it to most of his patients. -if I do go to the treatment center (I have a couple weeks to debate about it and still get my deposit back) -if I go and you are in town those 2 weeks we can bunk together.

Meanwhile I purchased an HeartMath off amazon like dr Suleman recommended, it's suppose to be a home biofeedback device... I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. )))