Something That Helps

delphicdragon

Hey Everyone-

I thought I'd share this with everyone on the site. For those who are new, I have Ehlers-Danlos which has caused POTS. I was diagnosed with POTS in 2007 after having seizures from low blood pressure. I currently take 5mg of Midodrine every 4 hours and am finally able to maintain a blood pressure of 110/70. Before the Midodrine, I used to get IV saline every week to try to keep my blood pressure up - I have since been able to stop the saline IVs.

My doctors have recommended compression stockings for years and I could never put them on. My joints are so loose that trying to pull on regular nylons causes me to dislocate. I tried wearing knee socks but it didn't help enough. Even with the Midodrine I am still symptomatic during certain times of the month, sometimes requiring me to take time off work. (BP drops to 80/50, medicated, and the room spins, adrenaline surges etc).

It was recommended to me by my occupational therapist to try wearing some sort of compression, so I went searching for something that I could put on without dislocating. A friend of mine, who is quite athletic, recommended Under-Armor brand of workout wear. They have a compression line of workout clothing. I thought this would never work, but I am so glad that I tried it!! I actually now wear compression capri pants ($40) and a compression long sleeve shirt ($30) under my clothes and have found I'm much less symptomatic. Walmart also sells Starter brand compression workout clothes in the men's section. I'm 5'8" and about 140 lbs and a small is a little tight, so that's an option too - and it's cheaper! ($12 for a shirt).

Just thought I'd share something that has been helping me.

Sara