Unbearable Car Sickness? Anybody Else? What Helps?

Jules

I never had car sickness as a child but have unbearable episodes now and am wondering if this is just another issue with POTS. Even riding shotgun in a higher vehicle (truck) doesn't help. I've only taking Dramamine but it makes me really sleepy. Does anyone have other treatments that they have tried that work better?

So sorry...this is a major problem for me, too :unsure: . I haven't found anything to help that doesn't make me sleepy, so if I drive, it's only 5 minutes away. I've never tried the patch before, but heard of it...does it make you sleepy?

How long of riding in the car before you find yourself feeling ill? You've ruled out the type of car (I know Cadillacs are particularly boat-like in their rocking). Do you have trouble when sitting for a length of time at home as well?

I get really bad motion sickness when I'm not driving and even sometimes when I am the driver. Bonine (meclizine) is similar to Dramamine but tends not to make you quite as sleepy (although it can still make you sleepy so be careful). It did help me as I have always had motion sickness but it has gotten so much worse since POTS. Also, they make accupressure wrist bands (look like bad '80s sweat bands) that have a little accupressure bead that sits on the inside of your wrists. They worked for me on a cruise. You need to put them on at least a 1/2 hour before you travel.

I use Motion Mate by Hylands. It's homeopathic and can be gotten at a health food store. You can use 3 tabs under your tongue every 15 mintues for the first hour and then every hour thereafter - if needed. It works within about 15 minutes after the initial start of the hour. Usually, I only have to use 2 doses. I have them in my hand when I get into a car because it happens nearly every time. Sipping on ginger ale helps allot too. I also use this for the naseau that I get pretty regularly with POTS. I don't know what causes it - but, it's one of my symptoms.

One thing to keep in mind about homeopathy. You don't want to eat or drink 15 minutes before or after taking them and don't touch them with your hands. Pour them into the cap and put under your tongue. That and ginger are my two best treatments.

Issie