Autonomic Reflex Scan

Hey all, I just got out of my autonomic reflex scan at mayo. The woman doing the scan was a technician who was trained in Rochester. The first part of the test consisted of putting plastic suction cups with clear watch like bands on them around my arms and legs, I believe there were 4. Each of these suction cups had a hole in the top of them where an injection of acetylcholine is sent through to the skin and then pushed.through the skin via electrical type diffusion where the ach can reach the receptors. The body's response to this should be sweating, and the sweat produced is collected in the suction cups. The sweat produces a change in pressure of the suction cups which is how the sweat output is measured. This response is graphed as 4 lines and is recorded during the ach stimulus which lasts around 5 minutes and 5 minutes after the stimulus is complete. It feels like a slight burning. For the next part of the the test they have you breathe into a tube (which has a surprising amount of air resistance) and watch a meter, which, in this case was a blood pressure meter that measured your breath output I.e. you blow, it goes up or down etc. They try to get you to hold it at 40 mmhg. Then, they have you follow a light pattern to control the rate of speed in which you breathe in and out. When the light gets to the top you stop breathing in and breathe out until the light gets to the bottom. During these tests, your pulse is measured through an ekg, and your blood pressure is measured through a little band that goes around your finger. The last test, is a simple ttt, with no stimulus injected.

I didn't even really look at what they were doing when I had the autonomic reflex scan last week at Mayo. I just did what I was told and stared at the ceiling! I was really worried about my blood sugar dropping, and was hoping it would be over soon.

Did they do the part that "hurts"? Or was that what you were talking about? I had that done, the blowing real hard into a tube for a certain pressure and time. And then they did a 10 minute TTT. That was the shortest TTT I ever had, and was wondering why they put a 10 minute limit on it.

Is this the same test Claire was talking about? Here's the link she posted: http://www.impeto-medical.com/impeto-technology/a-new-solution-to-assess-sudomotor-dysfunction/

When there are new tests available, I like to know about them. The test I had along these lines was one where electrodes were attached to my hands and feet - and I think sweat was measured. This one sounds different.