What Happened To Me?!?

shoegal

I'm on a new med, lactulose which I think gave me muscle pain before. I had pain in my low back/hip/leg. Went to go to sleep and couldn't stop shaking, got severe, like a seizure like shaking. pulse jumped to 150 about an hour into the shaking, took about another hour for all the shaking/tach to stop.

before the shaking got bad I felt like I was falling in a hole, out of it, it was NOT a nice feeling but tried to say well you are tired.

i'm little freaked. I've had shaking AFTER tachy episodes but nothing like this.

Autonomic?

What is the lactulose for? I thought it was just a sugar, literally.

I had to take it for a either a lactose intolerance test or a breath test for small bowel overgrowth. I'll tell you what it did to me. I did the test, then had 1 1/2 hours to get home. I didn't eat right after the test, because I tend to get diarrhea after morning food, and because I was on the road didn't wan that to happen.

Anyway, 3 hours after taking the lactulose, I ended up with a HUGE blood sugar drop. I was in a store and was very irritable, telling my husband we had to go NOW. I began shaking really bad and it dawned on me my glucose must be low. I grabbed a candy bar at the register and began eating. My husband new to go pay for it while I ate. Then a few minutes after that I got a huge hot flash, with lots of sweating making my hair wet. It was 30F outside and I was in it burning up.

So, my point was, it is a sugar(if I remember correctly and that's what I took) and can cause a low blood sugar. Especially taking it on an empty stomach at night then going to sleep.

Your symptoms are consistent with an allergic reaction. Be careful with your new med; you may very well be allergic. IF you take another dose & get another reaction; consider an OTC antihistamine, like benadryl, and see if that helps.

Sorry :( this happened to you- scary.

Oh, just saw Sue's response! That may be it UNLESS it resolved w/o food. Did you eat to get resolution? Can severe hypoglycemia reverse w/o food?

Lactulose also draws all available plasma/water into the bowel. The hypovolemia could have dramatically worsened autonomic symptoms??? If that's the case, you obviously must drink, drink, drink IF you are to tolerate this on a regular basis.

i checked my sugar then it was 73 on one test and 83 on the other, def not low enough to cause such severe shaking. I had taken a dose quite a while before and had juice afterwards.

I'm on it since I stopped having normal bowel movements in aug. i'm currently backed up yet again and the other stuff, miralax makes my tingling worse and generally makes me feel awful

I have the same problem- 3 doses of Miralax a day. How about Milk of Magnesia? I've been told that can safely be taken long term.

when I did 2 a day i had a lot of accidents and generally felt awful from the tingling and bloating.

mag isn't good if you have very low BP I often am under 70 and always 40 something on the bottom number

Your reaction to me sounds like an autonomic storm or autonomic dysreflexia. Allergy could be another possibility. I think that medicine actually messes with your fluid and electrolyte balance so maybe that's it.

it can increase lactic acid, which I have had high before, all those doses and it didn't make me go either :-(