Debilitating Food Allergies

gertie

Is food allergies part of Dysautonomia? I've been suffering from them for over 30 years. They started about the same time as all the other symptoms of Dys/POTS. I've been through all the testing, shots, etc & everything that supposed to help only make them worse. The strangest thing about the testing is that the things I didn't show being allergic to seems to make me the sickest. It takes at least 2 days to get over the reaction to a food & by that time I've reacted to something else. I never seem to get energy from my food just lethargy, migraine, eye & nasal swelling, IBS etc. I really get tired of not getting to enjoy my food knowing the odds are it will cause a problem. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Yes, Alicia. I understand this. It took me a few years to find some safe foods but it was very hard to isolate them because reactions are sometimes very delayed. I do take food drops and they help quite a bit. Have you ever tried that? They are the only reason I am eating enough to sustain my weight right now. Before I started those, I was on a rotation diet and it did seem to help, too. Even so, I usually have a few hives from something or another, and the digestive issues complicate things as well.

I also keep a detailed food diary and have for years now. It's just part of my routine. It has been helpful in finding safe/trigger foods so I could formulate some sort of diet. I know how you feel and I often wonder if it's part of the dysautonomia, too. Honestly, I don't think doctors know the answer to that yet because food allergies seem to remain a mystery. I would LOVE to know what is causing this and get rid of it!

Alicia,

Have you considered that these reactions are maybe triggers and not allergens? This may not sound like a big deal to know the difference, but if you didn't test positve for these foods, maybe there is a different reason you can't tolerate them. Allergens cause allergic reactions modulated by an increase in IgE, which is one of the things measured to determine if you are allergic to them.

A trigger may cause a reaction but could be due to being high in a sppecific protein or chemical you are unable to break down. For example, foods high in tyramine, sulfites, sulfates, MSG, nitrates, nitrites, can trigger migraines. Foods high in histamines, such as aged cheeses can cause nasal congestion. Dairy products can cause IBS type symptoms, cause you can't process molecules, as in lactose intolerance. I have found benenfit in taking digestive enzymes and probiotics at times to help me be able to digest foods. Good luck in sorting our your issues with food. It is really tough when food is your enemy. Keep up the investigation!

Lyn