Can Hr Be Down, But You're Still Symptomatic???

dizzyallie

I have been wondering this. Yes my HR goes up standing but not EVERY time.

Sometiimes I feel so ill and dizzy yet HR can be in 80's.

So confused.

My tilt table went from 100 beats to 150 beats in under a minute.

I think a lot of us have commented on that. When I saw my neuro last time I asked him about how I could still feel so bad when my BP and HR were actually pretty stable. He said it was fairly common and that he preferred it for my vital signs to be more stable. To me that seems to indicate that the vital sign changes are just a reaction to whatever else is going on with us that they haven't figured out yet. Seems to me sometimes that my symptoms have some sort of odd rotation. Sometimes the dysfuntional autonomic system I have seems to cause problems with my HR and BP. Other times it's more involved with GI issues or migraines, other times it's fatigue, weakness and breathing problems that are a manifestation of the weird stuff going on within.

My POTS neuro said there is not a direct correlation between improvement in HR and improvement in symptoms. I believe early on in my quest for knowledge I actually read some published research to that effect as well. I definitely experience times when I am symptomatic but my HR has not increased by the 30 BPM that POTS requires.

My HR is well controlled for the most part but I'm still symptomatic. For me I thing the beta blockers cause my BP to run kind of low. Frustrating however, I HATED the heart racing feeling and that's so much better for me!!

Brye

Same here... while on a calcium channel blocker (diltiazem) first, and now a beta blocker (atenolol) second, my heart rate is way lower; even when I do something that would "normally" (without blockers) cause my HR to jump to 180 or 200, it only goes up to 120 to 150. But I'm still quite symptomatic, and may actually be worse off. If the increased HR is compensatory for something else, then just lowering it won't do any good and will probably make things worse. Hopefully the neurologist will take me off the atenolol *before* any autonomic testing...

My HR behaves really well and hardly jumps on standing since I've started metoprolol and while I have improved some, I'm still symptomatic enough to be stuck at home most of the time. My BP runs on the low side sometimes and likes to jump all over the place so maybe that's making me feel bad.

Thankyou everyone, I was concerned because it's not always high and it was making me wonder - maybe it's not POTS?

But yes like you all - very symptomatic.

Just want things to improve so badly :(