Cortisol's Role In The Body...sound Familiar?

sue1234

I was reading the basic Wikipedia on cortisol, again, which gives a good rundown of the basics of cortisol. As I read through it, it was like checking off a list of the issues I and some of you have with POTS. It affects vasopressin, which of course affects fluid balance. It seems all of the things it acts upon or interacts with, I have had an issue with labs being off or symptoms related to my POTS. I'm not linking it, but you can easily find it on Wikipedia.

I found something interesting also in this article. It talks about vasopressin and cortisol in the role of vasodilation, and more. There's just got to be a clue somewhere in all this!

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/98/2/187.1.full

When I first came down with POTS, I thought I had an adrenal problem, so I saw endocrinologists for the first couple of years, getting tested for either high or low levels. That's when they found the first small growth on the adrenal. It is all so interconnected.

I have hyper-Pots as well as adrenal and thyroid failure. I have a terrible time balancing my cortisol (I run through it so fast) and am always struggling with my magnesium, potassium, chloride and sodium to keep them up, so I agree that if I could get these balanced, I think the pots issue would be better, in fact now that I think about it, when I am somewhat balanced the pots IS much better.

My adrenal problem was only found through an ACTH stim test, the AM cortisol test did not catch the fact I am severely deficient after about 10am.

I had forgot to link the article I found interesting! I added it above. But, here is the last sentence that kind of made me really think about cortisol and vasopressin:

Therefore, it might be possible that the impaired vasopressin secretion Landry et al found in the vasodilatory septic shock group is caused by hypercortisolemia.

Is it possible that we have a never-ending cortisol see-saw? When we stand, we are stressing the body, so I'm sure more cortisol gets put out. This would "turn off" our vasopressin production. So, by the time we wake up in the morning, we have low fluid and probably have to adjust to the roller coaster cortisol. I don't know, but there are times I'm positive I've got to feel as deathly as a person with Addison's disease would!

This is an interesting thread to me because none of my doctors have ever suggested testing for such things as cortisol level or low levels of minerals and vitamins - - I was only tested for iron deficiency and found to be anemic because of severe fatigue, and the testing for vit D was done by an integrative/alternative med doc I see now and again. My husband is convinced that my body gets imbalanced in vits/minerals/etc and does better when balanced - - by that I mean, for instance, that I tend to feel better and have less POTS when I'm not anemic, and when I'm taking Vit D supplements, and a multivitamin, etc. But when we suggested to the PCP I get testing, he didn't seem to think that important. Are you regularly tested for these things?

Carol

• 4 weeks later...

anyone try phosphotidylserine? it clears cortisol. over the counter phospholipid. my daughter takes 500 mg an hour before bedtime and it helps her insomnia. it also appears to have improved her am cortisol levels which were low in the am. saliva tests show she is low in am and high at night. the opposite is suppose to occur. so far the PS is helping. it is not cheap though.