My Family Dr. Said He Couldnt Order An Mri

Darlene

my lower back has been hurting for about 10 years now. i have been to my family dr. off and on about this problem. i have went through physical therapy, the chiropractor, and i have taken motrin 800. none of this has helped the pain. well, yesterday the pain was so bad i went to the ER. they gave me percocet, an injection toradol, and flexeril. i m still in pain. they also did an xray, and said it looked ok. but he did say an xray would not show a herniated disk. he wrote me out a few prescriptions and told me to schedule an appontment with my family dr. well, i had an appointment with him today anyway i had made a few weeks ago. well i told the dr. about going to the ER monday and asked him if he could order an mri. he said he couldnt. hahahaha. is that true. a dr. can't order an mri. if he can't order one, then who can? i don't think my back would hurt for 10 years now if nothing was wrong.

If he can't, call him back and ask who can. More than likely he just doesn't want to. I talked to my neuro about an emg after hearing that this might be caused by neuropathy. He said no, you don't have neuropathy. No, I don't have typical neuropathy. It's frustrating.

I would definitely ask for a referral. It may be that he does not want to order the MRI because he does not know how to interpret the results (though usually a radiologist will give them a very nice print out). Family doctors are great for getting antibiotics and referrals......and that's about it. LOL.