Bowel Incontinence

lizababy

I apologize first for the gross nature of this post.

My blood pressure has been at record lows as of late. The doctor has recently done testing for Lyme and Lupus due to some issues with random bruising and falls. I am presently up to 10 mg of midodrine 3 times a day with 5 mgs between each dose. I am also taking .05 mg of florinef along with drinking copious amounts of vitamin water and gatorade to supplement.

Last night, I was lounging around my house in a pair of yoga pants. I went to the bathroom to discover that unbeknownst to me, I had lost control of my bowels while lying on the couch. I felt absolutely nothing when this happened. I didn't even have any stomach cramps. It was just a very random, all of the sudden mess in my pants.

Have others experienced this problem as an aspect of their autonomic dysfunction?

Was it maybe a side effect of either of the meds?? I have been on both of those meds, but the highest I have been on Midodrine is 10mg, 3 times per day (never had 5mg between the 10mg doses). As for Florinef, it causes headaches for me....I've had IBS problems, but I think it's common with having POTS.

I am so glad you posted this topic! Every month or two, I have a couple of episodes like this, where I'm either sleeping or knowing that I need to go to the restroom and thinking I made it in time, but I haven't. Horribly embarrassing and I'm not sure what to do. I've dealt with constipation for many years, and now this....I think I'll pay a visit to my gastro doc about it. I think it has something to do with pelvic floor issues.

Actual incontinence has only happened once in the last 4 years but I am so sorry it is happening to the two of you. The day it happened to me was definitely one of the low points of this whole sordid affair known as POTS. I do have a related issue since that incident though...I will not feel like I need to go and then all of a sudden..BAM...I've got to go now and I don't feel like I can hold it. I feel like on am on the verge of bowel incontinence when it happens. On regular POTS days it may happen once or twice a week. When I am going through the episodes when my GI system is flared up, it happens multiple times a day. I have felt like my issue has something to do with motility issues.

Since you couldn't feel anything, I almost wonder if yours has a neurologic component??? I can definitely feel what happens with me, I just don't feel like I will necessarily be able to control it.

Best of luck in finding an answer to this symptom.