Your Opinions Please - Syncope

dizzydaze

Fairly new here and I need your opinions please.

About 10 years ago I started getting 'head rush' and weak feeling after showering. So I used to lie down. A couple of times I actually fainted. The presyncope feelings developed into head rush, hot feeling, heart palpitations and feeling weak at anytime even when sitting. They would happen every couple of months and now happening once or twice a month - sometimes in clusters over a few days. Tends to happen alot around menstruation but not always.

I have had Tilt table test, ecg, eeg, mri and seen a Neuorologist who said its syncope. All tests came back normal.

Its NOT like a fainting feeling that is describe alot on the internet - greying out and such, no nausea or swooning.

Sometimes its just the head rush and feeling very tired and goes after about a minute. Other times its a bit more overwhelming and I really need to lie down and the feelings go pretty quickly then. I may feel a bit headachey or tired for the rest of the day depending on how bad the 'spell' was. If I am sitting when it happens its not bad but if I am standing when it happens it is more intense. There does not seem to be a trigger. I have only actually fainted 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years.

Please tell me what you think this is?

If it is sycope - what is the proper name?

Does this sort of thing progress? I cant find much information on what the prognosis is or long term future for this sort of thing. I am worried that this might turn into some sort of incapacitating illness. I am 42 years old non smoker, overweight and mother to 3 children who need me.

I really appreciate any information you can give me, I am done looking things up on the internet and I wanted to go straight to real people for some help.

Thanks again.

Hi dizzydaze. sorry for what you are experiencing. I have the similar head rush, week, palpitation "spells" and I'm still not sure what to call it. I've just been saying, I'm lightheaded but someone told me that it could be an adrenaline surge. I'm not sure. I hope someone responds to you because I would also like to know more about your questions.

Hi dizzydaze,

Syncope is just a synonym for "fainting". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncope_(medicine). I would start by re-approaching the neuro and asking "what kind" of syncope you have, for example neurocardiogenic syncope is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure (your TTT may have shown this). If this neuro can not explain why the syncope is happening, you may try to find a cardiologist or neurologist in your area that specializes in autonomic dysfunction to get a more accurate diagnosis of what is the root cause of the syncope. "Syncope" in itself is a very vague diagnosis and there should be a search for a root cause.

Hope you get more info soon,

Katie

when you say "headrush" do you mean pressure? I get pressure exactly like you are describing which is followed by tachycardia. My neuro said it was presyncope. I believe presyncope can be subjective and the feeling varies between people. if it happens when you get out of the shower i would definitely think that is what it is because the heat lowers your bp.

Sounds exactly like neurally mediated hypotension/NMH. The fact that it happens in the shower is classic. I bet your TTT wasn't long enough. At Hopkins they run it for 45 minutes. It often takes that long for the drop in BP to occur. Prior to the drop, is when the head rush and tachy starts. Some do have nausea and even vomiting with this, but not all.

Your treatment should be focused on building fluid volume- lots of water, gatorade, salt. Many with NMH benefit from florinef. Also, life style modifications can be very effective. Lots with NMH feel better in the evening. Maybe plan to shower then with warm, not hot, water. Drink plenty of fluid before showering and after.

This is an old link from Hopkins about NMH. Chock full of good info :)http://brendashue.tripod.com/nmh2.html

Thank you so much to all who replied.

I guess what I mean by head rush is a bit of head pressure too. Like an electricity/warmth sort of feeling. Its hard to stay calm and take note of the symtoms when it happens. I can just be sitting doing nothing and it can happen - this this happen to anyone?

Does anybody know what the general course of this dysfunction is. Does it lead to more serious dysautonomia? Does it get worse or stay the same. Does it go away for some? What about hereditary - I hope I dont pass it on to any of my daughters. Does anyone drive with this sort of thing?

I cant find much info on this.