Petroleum Jelly

gertie

I'm having weird symptoms today & can't figure out what could be causing them. The only thing different I've done the last few days is use petroleum jelly on my hands. My hands have been so dry I decided to cover them with PJ & wear gloves during the day. Today I have been lethargic, nauseous, brain doesn't work & on the verge of shaking uncontrollably. I washed the PJ off my hands & maybe slowly getting better but still feel awful. My DH reminded me that I used to have a sensitivity to PJ but I didn't think the body would absorb it. Have any of you ever had a problem with PJ? I feel so stupid to have these kind of reactions to such common things. Thanks.

I tried petroleum jelly on my lips that constantly slough off, bleed, crack and are so painful. I have tried all of the things marketed to heal lips, cold sores, bees wax, lanolin, stay away from any form of alcohol in it. Nothing helps. I have a lot of drug allergies and environmental/food sensitivities/allergies. The petroleum jelly only made things worse faster. I didn't notice anything systemic but the lip stuff is much thinner based than the petroleum jelly. I do have a lot of skin sensitivities to chemicals/additives in creams and ointments/lotions and the skin is the largest organ of the body. Getting a good rub into hands would block the pours that would prevent moisture from entering (and we need hydration). It would also block release of sweat and other chemicals/toxins that release through the skin. It would make sense to me.

Hi,

I don't have allergies to PJ, but, I haven't been able to use any sort of lotion on my legs (not even prescription lotions/moisturizers) for years. Also, can only use water to shave my legs. If I use any "prepared" products for shaving or moisturizing, I get really bad rashes and foliculitis. I recently took a leap and tried pure avocado oil to moisturize, and, to my delight it works without causing a reaction. I know the Vitamin Shoppe sells pure avocado, almond, or grapeseed oils for moisturizing skin and scalp. It is pure oil so you only need a couple of drops to moisturize your hands and it soaks in in about 3-5 minutes. I have really dry skin and was happy to find a solution. Hope one of these pure oils might work for you.

Katie

I love to use PJ on my lips because they're always dry. Otherwise, I use Curel Sensitive Skin lotion. It's the only lotion that's worked for me. The PJ doesn't seem to have any negative effects on me, but I don't think I'd use it on my legs or arms, etc. Can't use anything with fragrances, either. In fact, I can't tolerate perfume/cologne scents of almost any kind, which is a bummer. I used to love my perfumes.