Mestonin Causing Nausea, Cramping, And "d". Does This Go Away Over Time ?

hyperpots

God forbid I take a medication without side effects. I started Mestinon last night and I have had terrible Nausea. I get some extreme cramping every so often and a few episodes of Diarrhea.

My gut has never given me a problem until now.

I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack today and my breathing is much better. My HR standing last night actually was hanging around 100, which I havn't seen in forever.

I started on 30mg, but felt like I needed more, so up to 45mg today 3x / day. I still needed a Xanax, but no where near the stimulation I've been feeling.

I have Phenergan here, but I'm already sleepy and just trying to ride it out.

Any thoughts ?

Steven

Hi Steve,

Sorry about the side effects. Have you tried taking it with food? I take Mestinon 60mg 3xday with food which has helped me. I also take Prilosec 40mg daily which helps too. I really didn't have much side effects on it. Hope the side effects subside and you continue to feel better.

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about the side effect issues with the Mestinon.....I am starting it tomorrow only at 15mg 2x a day until my body adjusts. My internist did state it can be very hard on your digestive system so always take it with food and water and hopefully as you are on it longer the side effects will settle down. On the up side it does sound like its helping with some of your symptoms......

Bren

When I started taking Mestinon a year and a half ago I did a search on the forum about the med. From what I remember there were those who said that the side effects did resolve, but for others they did not and they had to stop taking. I hope for you that the side effects lessen because it sounds like you're getting some really nice effects from this med. I remember one thing that was also recommended was to start "low and slow" with dosing...perhaps that would help.

I have been having similar issues now (didn't know which end something was coming out but something was coming out)--severe cramps and vomiting/wretching. I hadn't known til kind poster recomended I take with food and another suggested getting Zofran for nausea (hoping it'll help with cramps, too). I'm on baby dose--15 mg in a.m and at noon and then repeat if I have symptoms.

I suspect gastroparesis as I had nausea even before starting these meds in Oct. (Mestinon and Midodrine 5 mg morning, noon and supper), probably from combination of my EDS and dysautonomia. I've got message in to my PCP tomorrow to see if she'll start me on Zofran. (Will probably need auth'd by ins). I have the phenergan suppositories but can't do the treadmil/aquaciser when it makes me drowsy (and after the therapy session was when I tossed my cookies). I also have taken Prilosec OTC and then Zantac at bedtime (have gastritis, GERD and IBS). I can't get the stomach Rxs increased because with my Lipitor and another potent Rx I take, all 4 of the meds are hard on the liver. Am hoping the Zantac will be ok w/ PCP and ins. and even more so that it works.

I'd been taking the Midodrin and Mestinon about a month and a half and these symptoms have just gotten progressively worse. Now that I know to eat with it, hopefully that will help too.

I'm so glad you posted this and so thankful for people who have taken the time to respond to suggest things that might help and support us.

Steve,

I'd just called my cardiologist in Toledo and reported BPs that are still low, still near syncopal spells and the problem with the Mestinon. She told me that I'd been on the med around 6 weeks so I shouldn't be having it so bad, now, so it is probably something Dr. G will want to get me off of. Am waiting for call w/ his instructions. Just thought I'd share.