Diet/carbonated Drinks

yogini

Has anyone noticed their symptoms getting worse with NutraSweet/Diet Coke or other carbonated drinks (even seltzer)?

I started a new job in August. They have free sodas and (embarassed to admit--no judgement please) I had gotten up to drinking 4 Diet Cokes a day. Over the last month I have been feeling awful, exhausted, etc. I wasn't sure if it was the job itself (I worked from home before), except the hours are pretty regular and it isn't too stressful. Then I realized it might be the Diet Coke (also b/c I have bad gas/burping from it - sorry for being graphic). Thursday was the last Diet Coke I had and Friday evening I started feeling miraculously a lot better. I don't know how to explain it, still having some symptoms but my head feels clearer. Given the gas, and the chemicals, I am going to cut out all carbonated beverages for a few weeks and see what happens.

Since getting POTS, I have gone through periods where I cut out diet soda altogether, or drank it occasionally. Whenever I stopped Diet Soda, I replaced it with seltzer, which doesn't have the chemicals, but still has gas. It is stupid of me, because gas makes my POTS is worse. I don't remember how much it helped my symptoms. I am wondering what will happen if I stop everything. Have any of you tried this?

I dont know about the artificial sweetner and Im sure there will be others that can comment on that side of things.

However I find that caffeine in POTS is strange - acutely it can help a lot when you wake up feeling like death, but chronically over time it seems to 'exhaust' my body for want of a better word and make me feel 'wired and tired'.

Caffeine seems to be an acute benefit but long terms less so.

Caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands.

With all the talk about adrenal fatigue it seems that as a society we should be more aware of this and be leary of this temporary energy fix we get.

Yes short term it gets us over the hump-long term we're giving our adrenals a regular challenge test. No wonder huh?

Regular as in continually in many cases. :)

Also I think in POTs it almost seems to over jerk the alpha/beta receptors as well over time. Perhaps depleting them in a more direct way as well. If someone has low reuptake of norepinephrine, targeted continually stimulation of release is probably not a good idea.

i must confess to the occasional complete caffeine addiction in POTS - it gest me through the moments, but at the end of the day im totally frazzeled.

I cut out caffeine for about 1 1/2 yrs during POTS When I restarted it, it didn't worsen my POTS (in moderation). I drink green tea now from time to time, and it doesn't worsen my symptoms. In my case, it is either the NutraSweet and/or the carbonation that is bothering me.

I agree with the observation that chronic caffeine messes with my POTS, but can be tolerated in small doses.

I also get the crazy increases in symptoms with sweetener consumption though. I totally avoid all artificial sweetners, to the point of going without any drink, rather than drinking a diet anything. They trigger awful headaches in me. I think it is similar to the medication intolerance we experience, the body can handle the real thing, but put it into a molecule or "synthesize" it and our bodies simply overreact.