Antihistamine

gertie

Am I the only person that can't tolerate antihistamines? Can someone have an allergic reaction from AH? I thought AH was to stop allergic reactions yet when i take them I have allergic reaction. I need them desperately. I am only able to eat a few foods & have nasal congestion & ear probems. I've tried every brand name they make as some time over the last 25 years & they all cause seizures or some other side effect. Thanks.

I am so glad you said that! I too cannot tolerate antihistamines. I would take them and get hives and have to get a epi-shot. A doctor did recommend Nasal Crom. It's a nose spray and I think it blocks histamine receptors, but not totally sure. It is not an antihistamine but works for allergies for me. They have it at walgreen's, kind of pricy but totally worth it. Other pharmacies may have it behind the counter. I use it in spring and fall to keep the allergies at bay, although it takes awhile to work. Also a neti-pot or similar item helps keep the nasal passages clean. I have never met anyone else who is allergic to antihistamines-pretty weird. I had an actual allergy test and it came back positive for the antihistamines.

I just read a research article about patients who are actually allergic to antihistamines. I know docs sometimes recommend trying another type after an allergic reaction. For instance, my son couldn't tolerate zyrtec, but he handles claritin just fine. Nasal-crom is a mast cell stabilizer- another good choice. Maybe even singulair would be helpful. Also, saline water via neti pot could do wonders for nasal congestion- no meds there and it really helps.