B12 Intolerance

bruc

Blood test few months back revealed B12 deficiency.

Last few months have tried many brands and forms of b12 including cyano, methyl

and hydroxy. Experiencing the same reaction to all of them; dizziness, headache,

nausea, muscle aches. When I stop the form Im taking these symptoms subside

after a few days. Thought it was just me but after searching internet discovered

there are other people who are intolerant to B12.

Now the question is what do I do to get the B12 level up?

My primary doc is useless.

Anyone else experience this trouble with B12?

bruc

I've tried several kinds of B12 oral supplements (cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin - not sure of spelling!) as well as injections, and I react badly to all of them. It sounds like what you described - slightly nauseous, dizzy, shaky, etc. I've tried many times, and in different ways - different brands, with food, without food, "ramping up" from tiny doses, very small daily injections at home, etc. and still have unpleasant reactions. I have similar reactions to many vitamins and supplements, so I try to eat as well as possible, figuring that at least a good, balanced diet should help with deficiencies. I believe there's a lot of B12 in meat, fish, dairy products and Marmite (it's not for everyone, but I love the stuff).

Sorry - I'm not sure that's helpful as far as suggestions go, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone!!!

I tested B12 deficient and was given 3 shots over the course of 3 months. I did not have any side effects other than pain/soreness/bruising at the injetion site (which wa tolerable although it lasted longer than other shots I have received in the same spot) but also did not gain any benefit from it. When we retested my B12 levels 2 wks after the 3rd dose, I was well over the recommended levels. I stopped taking the shots since I was not feeling any difference in my well being and I was essentially "overdosed" (although I did not experience any adverse effects from this.) Just didn't seem worth the pain of a shot if it wasn't helping.