Surgery, Anesthesia And Pots

cmreber

Hello, I have recently found out that I might have to have knee surgery, and I have been wondering about going under with anesthesia and how the POTS might affect that (or vice versa). I am currently doing physical therapy to try and not have to do the operation, so I will find out one way or the other November 1st. I know I have read that it is best to steer clear of any sort of surgeries etc. when you have this disorder, but I thought I would see if anyone on here has had direct experience with this? Thanks everyone! :)

gen.an. has always been a problem for me. i've had several and ended up very sick after each of them. very low bp, sleeping for days and severe vomiting in between the sleeping. epidurals do the trick for me, i can tolerate them without any complications. unfortunately the last surgery i had wasn't allowed to be done under epidural and i ended up very sick again which worsened my dysautonomia.

corina :)

Thank you both for your answers! It seems like this is something that can go either way ;) I guess I will just see whether or not I need to have the surgery and then...we'll see what happens! I guess I won't really know till I try!

I have had several surgeries, and honestly, I think the situation that requires the surgery usually makes things harder for me than the anesthesia. I have several dx's though, so everything tends to cause a domino effect on me. Ultimately, I think if you can avoid surgery that is always preferable, but if not, just make sure your whole medical team (nurses, md's, etc.) are aware of your POTS. That way everyone can be on the lookout for problems.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy,

I can see how a surgery alone could be really hard on someone with POTS, depending on what they had to have done. I can't imagine having more than one diagnosis and I'm sorry to hear things have been so tough for you! :( I am trying my best to steer clear of having to do the operation, but if worst comes to worst, I am fortunate that I am close friends with both the surgeon and the assisting PA who would be doing it and they have known me through the entire illness /disorder so they at least know my issues and to keep a very close eye on things! :)

I've had many, many surgeries and there are a few things I must have to do okay. One is they give me cortisol IV to support my adrenals and the next they give the anti nausea drug with the IV and anesthesia or else I wake up throwing up. I also tell them that I'm super sensitive to meds and for them not to over do the anesthesia or I have a hard time waking up.

Thanks Dakota and Issie! I think since I have gotten a lot of great suggestions / info on here from other people's experiences, that I will print this stuff out and take it to the doctor during pre-op stuff if I end up having to do the surgery. That way they can see what has helped other people with this and we can be completely prepared!