Antibiotics For Infection

E246

Hi,

Have been really well after holiday in July - thought that was it and was finally getting better.

Then started with a sore throat which went onto my chest a bit. Thought i would get over it as i only have a slightly infected productive cough now but after 2 weeks i am still feeling really potsie, no energy, distant from the world and after finally feeling so well -quite down.

if i go to the doctors he will certainly prescribe antibiotics -do these work for people with pots or can they have bad effects on the pots symptoms?

If anyone has experience of this can you let me know.

Thanks

If you never previously had an allergy to antibiotics prior to developing POTS then it is unlikely you will have a reaction to them now but having said that it also depends on the type of antibiotic too. I am very sensitive to medications since I developed Dysautonomia and I have some very severe adverse effects to many drugs, however I have never had a bad reaction to the most commonly used type of antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Penicillin and Doxycycline, but I have had a reaction the Antibiotic called "Augmentin Forte" which is an antibiotic containing a substance called "Clavulanic Acid".

Although I tolerate penicillin, it still causes problems with my tongue causing thrush as it also kills the good bacteria in my gut, this is why I usually why I ask for antibiotics like "Cephalexin" instead.

Unfortunately I am currently going through one of the worst infections I have ever had in my life which consist of a painful ear infection, blocked Eustachian tube, severe vertigo, nausea, fever, infected tonsils, extremely painful body and muscle aches and cold sweats every night and I have been in and out of hospital several times in the last 3 weeks trying to recover from this infection. I am on my 4th course of antibiotics and every time I finish a box my infection takes over again and being on a high dose of antibiotics for 3 weeks has caused me severe stomach aches, cramps and constipation. SO I guess if you are on a high dose for too long then it can still mess with your body especially when you also have POTS.

Thanks,

I remember now that in the past i had flares everytime i got an infection and this was before my diagnosis. Just wanted to check. Nervous about taking anything.