Anyone With Bowel Issues??

shoegal

I have had alternating diarrhea and constipation my whole life.

Feb-April I had diarrhea

april-July I went once a week (not fun)

and now I just can't go. Miralax doesn't make me go, even an enema can result in nothing. It's a daily ordeal by now and I feel bloated and yuck.

Is this an autonomic issue? I know it's liked to mito which some folks have on here that I am being tested for.

I don't have a GI yet and no insurance. I'd love to know if others have this issue and what do you do about it?

I think I need a stimulant laxative. I get such bad side effects from things though I'm scared to try anything

I've always alternated back and forth as well. I've never found any rhyme or reason to it either, so it was never really something I brought up with doctors. I just got my diagnosis, although have had this for many years, so I can't really comment on what the doctors make of it yet. I have read that these symptoms can be part of dysautonomia though.

It very well could be an autonomic issue. The GI tract is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. The GI tract is supposed to work automatically, but for a lot of us it needs some help.

For a couple of years I took Amitiza, a medicine that works neurologically to make your intestines move. It was the only thing that worked for me. It is expensive, however, so if you don't have insurance that might not be an option. I don't know if a generic has been created yet or not.

I'm no longer on Amitiza. When I got pregnant 2 1/2 years ago I had to stop Amitiza cold turkey. It is a really bad medicine to take while pregnant. I was planning on doing a liquid diet during pregnancy in order to still be able to "go." While pregnant, though, I found that Miralax worked for me. I had tried it a couple of years before, but at that time I still had a large amount of fiber in my diet. Fiber makes things much worse for me, and the Miralax did nothing because of all of the fiber. Once I was no longer consuming so much fiber the Miralax began to work.

I now take Miralax daily, and it is still working as long as I don't eat too much fiber. I take a single dose, but some people with dysautonomia need 3 doses a day.

Be careful with stimulant laxatives. They are okay to use once in a while, but if you use them daily you will likely find that you need a higher and higher dose to get the same effect.

You may find it helpful to either increase or decrease the amount of fiber in your diet. Some of us do better with very little fiber, but some people do better with increasing fiber. It just takes trial and error to figure out what works for you.

I hope you can get some relief soon.

Rachel

I had this problem ever since I got sick. I have been gluten free for over a year and no longer have IBS. I think it really took about 6 months to help. I am sick today because 3 days ago I ate a cookie. Gluten does not cause a problem for me right a way but a few days later I will be sick. I also take fiber. It seems odd bot it helps with both problems. Hope you feel better soon. bathroom problems are one more problem we could all do without!

I've struggled with constipation my whole adult life, and a couple of years ago, when I ended up in the ER because I hadn't gone in 9 days, one of the ER doctors advised Senna. It's very gentle on your system (at least it is on mine..) and now I can go almost every day. You can find the Senna (generic for Senobkot) in any large discount store - Target or Wall-Mart - or pharmacy. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. You may only need 1 or 2 at night. Just something that worked for me that might work for you...no prescription necessary. :P

Constipation and loose bowels bothered me for years.

But I eliminated them by eliminating gluten and dairy.

I've struggled with constipation my whole adult life, and a couple of years ago, when I ended up in the ER because I hadn't gone in 9 days, one of the ER doctors advised Senna. It's very gentle on your system (at least it is on mine..) and now I can go almost every day. You can find the Senna (generic for Senobkot) in any large discount store - Target or Wall-Mart - or pharmacy. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. You may only need 1 or 2 at night. Just something that worked for me that might work for you...no prescription necessary. :P