Hida Scan Question?

yuliya

I had a HIDA scan today to check my gallbladder and liver function since I have been having attack for a few month now. Apparently everything works fine, until it gets to the sphincter area where it drains into the intestines. Anyone ever heard of this? The gallbladder emptied and it stayed in the duct, for 15 minute until the test was over and nothing ever happened. I don't have any stones based on the ultrasound so whats going on?

What does your doctor say? They should be giving you that information! I had to have my gallbladder out, so I'm sorry I don't know what's happening in your case. Are they recommending taking our your gallbladder?

Cheers,

Jana

They haven't said anything yet, they just thought my attacks of nausea and pain are gallbladder related, but the scan showed that my gallbladder is just fine, its just when it gets to the oddi sphincter are it doesn't go anywhere. I am suppose to go see a gastro next Friday but in the mean time I was trying to find out more info.

there's a condition called "Sphincter of Oddi", not sure if that is related or may be what's going on.

yeah, I thought that too, but hoping it turn out to be something else. From what I read that condition is not a fun fix.

I started having gallbladder problems when I was 17 years old. We spent over 2 years getting every test done and all of them came back normal. I was super nauseous and could hardly eat anything (especially fats) without getting really sick. I even had a hida scan that showed nothing. We finally insisted on having my gallbladder removed because I had all of the symptoms and it runs in my family. When they took it out, there were no stones but it was completely covered in scar tissue. The doctors didn't have much of an explanation as to why, but it solved all of the GI issues I was having. I just wanted to let you know, it could still be your problem even with a negative hida scan. Either way, I hope you are able to get it figured out. Good luck!